• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-set Odometer (2001)

01-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how to re-set the odometer on the "newer" XJs?
I'm doing an engine swap soon and this is just something that occured to me. I know there are more important things to worry about, but can I even do re-set it myself, since it is digital, or will I have to take it to the dealership...

Thanks,
~Jeremy

I just did the same thing(swapped engines) figured i would not be messing with the odomoter just in case i ever sell the heep!

dzraces said:
In california what you asked is actually illegal

x2 throughout the country. Rolling back an odo is bad mojo don't do it.

Besides, unless you replaced the axles and transmission, those parts still have your original mileage on them.

Later,
Joe

I know it's illegle to roll back the odo...
I just figured that it was only illegal for devious purposes, but it could be okay for some reasons... I don't know.

I looked at some other posts and people rolled back odos in guage swaps, so I know that there was someway it could be done.

I was just thinking restored cars have zero miles on them when they have a bunch of things replaced, i kinda figured that it hinged on the engine.

if you get a replacement odometer, rather than being a black background with white numbers it is a red and white combo, this lets everybody know that these are not the original miles on the car, and that the chassis and engine most likely do not match, etc

i dunno for jeeps but we did that for a volvo and we had to order it preset to the mileage that we thought appropriate that we extracted from the volvos computer

my odometer is really far behind since my speedo cable was broken for a few years, but i plan on being the last owner of this jeep

-Tim

Don't do it!!! I believe that would be considered a felony in most states. Hopefully some one with a law enforcement backround can give you the exact answer.

Its easy:
Pull the cluster apart until you can see the numbers and there is a little c-clip on the end of the shaft with the numbers. Take the clip off and spin the numbers then put the clip back on and put the cluster back together.

when you order a new cluster for a jeep you have to down the vehicle
and the new cluster comes with the milage burned in.
just keep the proper documents to prove it had an engine replaced at xxk miles

Jess said:
Its easy:
Pull the cluster apart until you can see the numbers and there is a little c-clip on the end of the shaft with the numbers. Take the clip off and spin the numbers then put the clip back on and put the cluster back together.

2001 has a digital display

Pull an Al Bundy and drive it backwards. Not that itd work with modern ones, Id say dont do it. In CT do they have your mileage when they do inspections? Or do they care if its less? I know on a carfax it'll show in certain states when you go to get a dealer checkup and such.

I have a Trooper that actually had the factory digital Odometer go out. The dealership replaced it and slapped a sticker on the door jam stating at what miles and they said they had to notify the state (?). Not looking at it, I can't remember if it is a state or federal sticker. All I know is that I can't sell it as original miles. I "have to" check the odometer discrepancy box on the transfer of title form when I sell it.
Kind of sucks too - CarFax doesn't take it into account - just a red flag!

bfred said:
Don't do it!!! I believe that would be considered a felony in most states. Hopefully some one with a law enforcement backround can give you the exact answer.
I'm a criminal justice student, does that count? :laugh:

Here's the text from the Colorado Revised Statutes... bear with me, it's a long one... :lecture:

42-6-202 Used motor vehicle sales - Prohibited acts.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to advertise for sale, to sell, to use or to install or to have installed any device which causes an odometer to register any mileage other than the true mileage driven. For purposes of this section, the true mileage driven is that mileage driven by the vehicle as registered by the odometer within the manufacturer's designed tolerance.

(2) It is unlawful for any person or the person's agent to disconnect, reset, or alter the odometer of any motor vehicle with the intent to change the number of miles indicated thereon.

(3) It is unlawful for any person, with the intent to defraud, to operate a motor vehicle on any street or highway knowing that the odometer of such vehicle is disconnected or nonfunctional.

(4) Nothing in this part 2 shall prevent the service, repair, or replacement of an odometer, if the replacement thereon remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. When the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before, it shall be adjusted to read zero, and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left door frame of the vehicle by the owner or the owner's agent specifying the mileage prior to the repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was repaired or replaced. Any removal or alteration of such notice so affixed is unlawful.

(5) It is unlawful for any transferor to fail to comply with 49 United States Code sec 32705 and any rule concerning odometer disclosure requirements or to knowingly give a false statement to a transferee in making any disclosure required by such law.

42-6-203 Penalty

A violation of any of the provisions of section 42-6-202 is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Don't know what other state's law is, but I would bet they are similar.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:
Back