• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE issue...

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
Against my better judgement, I installed an RE flange SYE on the girl's 1998 XJ, trying to save a little cash.

The new seal was puking ATF, so I pulled the driveshaft and when I grabbed the flange, the damn thing has play in it! Everything was tight, except the flange on the splines.
:bs:

So now what should I expect? The flange to get looser, ultimately causing the demise of the rear output bearing? Or is it something that will run for a while?

Fawking 242s, I wish someone would make a standard HD SYE for it...

Mine seems to have slight play,I dont think its anything to worry about,I imagine it was from the torture before my sye was installed.

I'm going to try and weld the flange to the washer, see if that does it. I *almost* dropped in a 231 when I was doing the SYE.

I cut the first one myself but broke the tap off in it and couldn't get it out. But I found a 242 with 16,000 miles on it with a "broken" case. The mounting ears on the rear case was ground on, that's it. So I had a local shop do the machining on it, and now I have a rebuilt 242. I hope it wasn't the wrong decision, we'll see after I weld it...

I think I just placed another larger washer that was the same size as the outside of the center part on the end. When I did up the bolt it pulled the flange against the inner washer and no movement. I did this for a customer one a few years ago and still going fine. No welding needed.

Gaius said:
Gojeep, what do you mean? There is a cirle clip holding the washer in there...
You leave that all in place but then add another washer that is larger and wont fit into the inside of the flange. It sits over the outside so when you pass the bolt through both washers, it pulls them together taking any slack out of the cir-clip.

Back