• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#$!@ hub assembly!!!!!!!!!

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
well tried the tap on the three bols, put on a spare tire(trying to wiggle it out),tried prying on it,tried dropping it on the spare to the ground jacking it up to move the tire then letting it down.this thing aint budging.its not rusted, dry or even beat up. so the next step is to beat the s@#$ out of it with a sledge.is there anything i can break doing it this way.the only alternative is a slide hammer and i dont have one or know anybody that does.

i just used a deadblow hammer on mine beat it a few times hit the top then the botom working backand forth from top to bottom it should come out ..im sure you did but maybe double check that you got all three bolts outta the back side???

I can pull mine off though with the axle shaft and all, look at my techniques in the link, i think they are good ideas but im worried of breaking something internal.

Soak it good with PB Blaster.
I the first time I broke mine loose I used an air hammer. Put the blade of the hammer between the hub and the knuckle. I just worked my way around it and it popped right off. It did roach the dust shield, but you don't need those anyway.:D

Remember to put some anti-sieze on it when you put it back on.

Hale

mudrat said:
ah,air hammer i never thought of that and i happen to just bought one.tomorrow it will be off.i hope . .
--
I'd go hit it with some PB Blaster and let it set overnight.

I had this same problem Sunday night. I ended up putting an old brake rotor on backwards, turned the wheel to full lock for swinging room and beat the snot out of it with a 5 lb mini sledge until it finally submitted to my will.

Later,
Joe

Haleyes said:
Soak it good with PB Blaster.
I the first time I broke mine loose I used an air hammer. Put the blade of the hammer between the hub and the knuckle. I just worked my way around it and it popped right off. It did roach the dust shield, but you don't need those anyway.:D

Remember to put some anti-sieze on it when you put it back on.

Hale

Where did you learn that trick?:dunno: JIM.

I rented a hub puller from Murray's the first time I did my wheel bearings. I later realized it wasn't necessary,but it made it a little easier.

ILLXJ said:
Where did you learn that trick?:dunno: JIM.

A wise man told me.

:wave1:

Here's a technique that works quite well.

1) Remove or loosen axle nut.
2) Jack the front tires off the ground...place jack stands under the front
axle.
3) Remove wheels.
4) Remove the two brake caliper bolts.
5) Remove the three unitized bearing bolts.
6) Put wheels back on and tighten down lug nuts
7) Place a long pry bar (3 or 4 feet long) in between the rim (still
attached to the unitized bearing) and the tie rod bracket on the steering
knuckle. Give 2 or 3 hard pulls and the bearing will pop out of the
steering knuckle.
8) Use an impact wrench to remove the lug nuts, and then remove the rim and tire.
9) Remove the brake caliper.
10) Remove the unitized bearing.

A buddy of mine can do a side in under 10 minutes with the above method.

The easiest way I've found is to prop a bolt between the inner C and the outer axle stub, and just use the steering wheel to remove it. Using a hammer on the hub can drastically reduce the longevity of it.

Not my pic:
DSC0236.JPG

ddeadserious said:
I rented a hub puller from Murray's the first time I did my wheel bearings. I later realized it wasn't necessary,but it made it a little easier.
Using a hub puller is a bad idea if you are planning on re-using the hub, say, if you're changing u-joints. You're pulling right through the bearing.

Of course, if the whole idea is to replace the hub, by all means.

i know this works on dodges. use one bolt that holds the bearing in. thread it in a little and use a extension put one end on the bolt head and the other on the c on the axle and start the truck and turn the steering wheel and use it as a hydrolic press and the bearing should come out. it probably a 2 person job but its possible with one. hope that helps.

axle puller.... will take ten min

What I have seen now that I have done this a few times is that some hubs will come off really easily and others are totally stupid. I would suggest this. Try pullers steering wheels etc etc but if it does not work use a 3-5 pound hammer on an old 1/2 impact socket and equally pound on them until it comes off. Be careful not to ruin the threads on the bearing by backing the bolts off to far.

Back