• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Noises

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my GF's 98 cherokee today and we did a little off roading. Every time I hit a bump there would be a clunking noise from the front. Im thinking there could be a worn bushing or somthing, but what else could it be? It sounds like its more from the passenger side, but I can't be sure, and it happens in 2 or 4 wheel. Also when on the road accelerating there is a growling noise from the rear between 20 and about 32 MPH. Her xj only has a 2" BB, is it just driveline vibes? How can I cure it? Thank you

Check the track bar mounts and bolts for tightness,a loose trac bar will make these noises.
As far as the growling from the rear it could be a bad pinion bearing,axle bearing(s) or bad r&p gears....just turn the radio up and ignore the noise untill your 8.25 goes out,then you can sell it to me for cheap so I can get rid of my d35.lol j/k

MY track bar has done this. Check your shocks to see if they could be tighter. Check all the control arm bolts and nuts. Check the rod ends...

My best advice is to get a big friend to rock the rig and you check out the front. You will have a good chance to see what is moving and may be causing the noise. Or you will be able to track it done by sound.

Back