• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

redrider

NAXJA Forum User
would i get better gas mileage with 4.10 with 33/12.50 opposed to 4.56. ive searched and everyone just says 4.56 or 4.88. but my main concern is gas mileage. i mainly cruise at 75 mph.im not trying to beat a dead horse. Hasta

I would think that a 4.56 with a 33 is gonna get your rev's up a little too high for best gas mileage.

I'd do 4.10's if thats your main concern. If you're mostly wheeling it, then I would agree with 4.56.

Personally I was planning on 4.10's and 33's, but I've stepped up my plan to 4.56's and 35's. Mind that I commute in my Jeep, at least until I can afford a driver car

thats what i was thinking. everytime i tried one of those calculators it looked to be better with the 4.10s. and i know im never going any higher than 33s.

WheelinJR said:
I would think that a 4.56 with a 33 is gonna get your rev's up a little too high for best gas mileage.

I'd do 4.10's if thats your main concern. If you're mostly wheeling it, then I would agree with 4.56.

Personally I was planning on 4.10's and 33's, but I've stepped up my plan to 4.56's and 35's. Mind that I commute in my Jeep, at least until I can afford a driver car

I can only speak from experience with an AW4. With that in mind.....

WheelinJR should SPOBI.

4.10's and 33's is a little on the doggy side of things. Low RPM's at highway speeds. Not good if you are looking for fuel economy. I wish I had the cash to go 4.88's. Currently have the 4.10's and 33's. 13MPG is as good as it gets for me, and that is with a corrected speedo.

If you are turning 33's and shooting for best MPG's, I'd say 4.56's would be the way to go.....possibably 4.88's. Definitely not 4.10's.

Hale

Haleyes said:
I can only speak from experience with an AW4. With that in mind.....

WheelinJR should SPOBI.

4.10's and 33's is a little on the doggy side of things. Low RPM's at highway speeds. Not good if you are looking for fuel economy. I wish I had the cash to go 4.88's. Currently have the 4.10's and 33's. 13MPG is as good as it gets for me, and that is with a corrected speedo.

If you are turning 33's and shooting for best MPG's, I'd say 4.56's would be the way to go.....possibably 4.88's. Definitely not 4.10's.

Hale

Yep...Exactly.

I have 4.56 and 35's...not good for mileage, motor struggles a little too much.

4.10's and 33's would be very similar and maybe a tad worse.

Definately 4.56's, especially if any of your driving is around town. Yes you will be winding a little tighter but remember you won't have the accellerator pressed as much so even though the engine is firing more times, it is using less fuel per rotation.

depends on which tranny you have. I have a 5spd w/ 32's and 4.56. It revs a little high on the highway(about 2700rpm at 70) and if you would like to go over 80mph for long periods of time I would probably go with 4.10's but if you have the AW4(auto) I have heard that 4.56 with 33's make a sweet combo.

bigwillxj said:
depends on which tranny you have. I have a 5spd w/ 32's and 4.56. It revs a little high on the highway(about 2700rpm at 70) and if you would like to go over 80mph for long periods of time I would probably go with 4.10's but if you have the AW4(auto) I have heard that 4.56 with 33's make a sweet combo.

That's not high.

Stop
Putting
Out
Bogus
Information

Haleyes said:
Stop
Putting
Out
Bogus
Information

Whether or not its bogus is purely opinion and experience based. So here is my experience.

My current Jeep has 32's and 3.55's and if i drive in 3rd (maintain between 2200 and 2800rpm) with the AW4 I get about 14mpg

Driving in OD I maintain about 16-17mpg and that cruises on the freeway around 1500-1800

I get a couple more mpg maintaining the lower rpm on the freeway

i do have the aw4. and the truth is that im usually running at highway speeds. the only time im not at that speed is when im offroad. and i live in the land of no hills. i just want the best gas mileage.

I would go 4.56,

I am running 33's with 4.10's and I am at just over 2000 rpm's going 70, there is no power and I always have to downshift, I wish I had 4.56!

dustin88, whats your gas mileage like? it just seems that from the information that ive found that thats the sweet spot. and do you know what stock rpm is at 70?

WheelinJR said:
Whether or not its bogus is purely opinion and experience based. So here is my experience.

My current Jeep has 32's and 3.55's and if i drive in 3rd (maintain between 2200 and 2800rpm) with the AW4 I get about 14mpg

Driving in OD I maintain about 16-17mpg and that cruises on the freeway around 1500-1800

I get a couple more mpg maintaining the lower rpm on the freeway

Everything I've read indicates that you get your best MPG out of the 4.0L engine when RPM's are somewhere between 2100 and 2500.

I recommend 4.56 gears if it sees lots of highway and, if you really truly care about gas mileage (and somehow I doubt that), SLOW DOWN!!! :soapbox: You are never EVER going to get decent gas mileage driving 75 mph in a shoebox on 33s.
Another option is get a cheap econo car and watch your mpg double.
Jeep on!
--Pete

WheelinJR said:
Thats my ultimate plan for someday. Some kind of Geo Metro or small Honda Civic from the late 80's/early 90's
That answered your question. Get 4.56's.

Back