• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More turn signal problems

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had a ton of electrical failures - not really sure why:

Bad alternator - replaced
Blown fuses under hood (dome lights, radio) - replaced
Blown CB fuse - replaced
Turn signals no longer work (but hazards do) - replaced combo flasher relay

I have read all the threads I've found on this subject. I have a combination turn/hazard flasher. I have replaced this and they still don't work. I know the bulbs and grounds for the lights are fine since they light just fine with my hazards on.

I'm reading some conflicting info. Some people say that the combo flasher is under the left knee-knocker panel, but the only one I've found was under the right side. Some people say there is a separate signal flasher to the left of the fuse panel inside. I have yet to find this.

Also, my repair manual (Haynes I believe) shows no info on the fuse panel layout, and my owners manual shows the wrong (shocking) fuse panel. I have checked the fuses with the numbers table in the owners manual and it says that fuse 8 is for the hazards/signals. Fuse 8 is fine. All the fuses are fine.

When I turn on the signals I get nothing - no interior indicators, no clicks, no external lights - nothing. When I turn on the hazards the interior indicators light, I get clicks, and the bulbs work fine all around.

The only thing I can think of is the signal/wiper combo stalk, but I'm still not sure why it wouldn't work when the hazards are in the same place.

Help. Please. This is ridiculous.

Well I was going to suggest the flasher solenoid, as I had a similar issue on my 99 and it turned out the flasher went bad (the one behind the kick panel under the steering wheel). Mine would work sometimes, and sometimes come on and stay on solid and not blink. However it seems as if you also have a 96, so I'm not sure if the solenoid is even in the same spot.

Also common on the 97+ models is the turn signal switch does go bad, and it will make the hazards come on ONLY in the rear, and ONLY when signaling left....also had that problem with mine.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Well I was going to suggest the flasher solenoid, as I had a similar issue on my 99 and it turned out the flasher went bad (the one behind the kick panel under the steering wheel). Mine would work sometimes, and sometimes come on and stay on solid and not blink. However it seems as if you also have a 96, so I'm not sure if the solenoid is even in the same spot.

Also common on the 97+ models is the turn signal switch does go bad, and it will make the hazards come on ONLY in the rear, and ONLY when signaling left....also had that problem with mine.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to check the switch itself. A friend with a 97 had the hazard/left signal problem and it took him forever to figure that one out.

not sure if this is it but i had similar problems on my 01.. the wipers would go when the headlight switch was pulled out.. i would have no lights in the front end at all... there is a ground on the driver side by the abs computer... and the stupid screw that grounds this stuff goes through to the inside of the fender well... well i have no plastic liner and my tire could have easly knocked it loose... put the 4grounds that are on this screw to a bolt through the body seam thats right there.. spray with contact stuff.. and vwola problem no more.. let me know if it worked out for you

good luck..

keith

Silverstreak01 said:
not sure if this is it but i had similar problems on my 01.. the wipers would go when the headlight switch was pulled out.. i would have no lights in the front end at all... there is a ground on the driver side by the abs computer... and the stupid screw that grounds this stuff goes through to the inside of the fender well... well i have no plastic liner and my tire could have easly knocked it loose... put the 4grounds that are on this screw to a bolt through the body seam thats right there.. spray with contact stuff.. and vwola problem no more.. let me know if it worked out for you

good luck..

keith
It's worth a check. I'll try and find this when I get a chance tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Back