• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackles And Pinion Angle Question

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I have a RE 3.5" kit on my '96 XJ. If I decide to upgrade in the future to the 4.5" kit, I will need to install 1" shackles on my existing leaf springs.

Can anyone here tell me from experience how many more degrees my rear pinion will raise when I add shackles? Right now, I am at 15* with the 6* shims.

M4Madness said:
Right now I have a RE 3.5" kit on my '96 XJ. If I decide to upgrade in the future to the 4.5" kit, I will need to install 1" shackles on my existing leaf springs.

Can anyone here tell me from experience how many more degrees my rear pinion will raise when I add shackles? Right now, I am at 15* with the 6* shims.

You're using 6° shims and only 3.5" of lift? Wow, i'm at about 7" and i'm using 6° and it's about perfect. Interesting.

Adding an additional inch shouldn't be too big of a problem (personal experience talking here). At least, I wouldn't think so with having the shims you already have.

my .02 ¢

Scott

xj² said:
You're using 6° shims and only 3.5" of lift? Wow, i'm at about 7" and i'm using 6° and it's about perfect. Interesting.

It's a 3.5" kit, but it actually lifted it 5". I'm running a SYE, so my pinion should be 2* less than my driveshaft angle. My driveshaft is 17* and my pinion is 15*, which is exactly where it should be. I'm just curious as to whether adding 1" shackles later would cause me to have to use less of a shim or not.

If anything it'll point the pinion to just under or right at the t-case output. That'll be fine. Mine's within 1 degree of the t-case output with 4 inches and a 6 deg shim.

Gaius said:
If anything it'll point the pinion to just under or right at the t-case output. That'll be fine. Mine's within 1 degree of the t-case output with 4 inches and a 6 deg shim.

So you're thinking that 1" shackles will raise the pinion another 1 or 2 degrees?

Back