• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Placement

Xj'sR'Creamy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, we all know about the infamous location of the alternator on our 4.0L XJ's. I know I have had it quit on me a few times due to mud and dirty water getting in there.
So, today with time and scraps, I thought I would help the situation by adding a splash guard to help keep most of the stuff that we don't want out of the alternator. Here are some pics of what I've done. Very simple and cheap...one less thing to worry about.
Used a piece of scrap aluminum sheet metal and cut and bent it with a jig-saw and hammers.
dscf00455xi.jpg

Curved the outer edge.
dscf00467gz.jpg

Fitment.
dscf00476cc.jpg

Paint.
dscf00483yq.jpg

Finnished.
dscf00495jf.jpg

It's the little things that count right....anyways I just wanted to share this with others as maybe some of you would like to do the same thing.
Sean

I'm not too concerned about the overspray as I will be giving all of the steering linkage and axles another coat of gloss black sooner or later, but thnaks for caring :kissyou:

and that would be an oil filter...were you kidding?

Actually, not on that one. It looked like a relocation, and I wasn't sure if you moved your engine oil filter there, or if you'd put in a remote transmission filter.

Of course, looking at the pic again, I see we're looking BACKWARDS, not SIDEWAYS, and I have therefore screwed up. Wasn't the first time. Probably won't be the last time... At least you made me look at the pic again...

5-90

5-90 said:
Actually, not on that one. It looked like a relocation, and I wasn't sure if you moved your engine oil filter there, or if you'd put in a remote transmission filter.

Of course, looking at the pic again, I see we're looking BACKWARDS, not SIDEWAYS, and I have therefore screwed up. Wasn't the first time. Probably won't be the last time... At least you made me look at the pic again...

5-90

Well, good thing you took a second look cause I was this close to holding it against you...hehe...all is good in the eyes of me

that and 5-90 is used to oil filters that point straight up, he's all Renix.

The only reason I'v kept my stock steering skid plate is because it makes a great engine bay splash shield. That than that it's pretty worthless.

does it curve upward on the back as well??

i've been thinking about doing this for a while now, you may have just given me the inspiration

Fred85 said:
does it curve upward on the back as well??

i've been thinking about doing this for a while now, you may have just given me the inspiration

It doesn't curve up on the back side, but it wouldn't take much to do it. Thanks for the comments all.

Sean

Back