• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent delay or not?

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
In trying to solve a wiper problem, I've read a fair amount of posts regarding the intermittent delay module. I've looked high and low for this device and can't find one on my heap. (1990 4.0L)

After consulting the Hayne's manual, there are schematics both with and without the module for 1990 XJ's.

The writing on the switch is so faded that it is illegible. I'm trying to determine if I have delay functionality or not. I can turn the switch two positions toward the hood. I'm guessing that delay types would have three positions. Can anyone concur or demur?

Assuming I'm correct and that I don't have the intermittent module, what would cause the wipers to stop mid-stream? If I turn the switch to "off" after they quit, I can turn them back on again in a few seconds and they will run again for a few more swipes. If I turn them on and off quickly, I'll always get one full cycle and that's how I'm surviving at the moment.

I know the motor or the switch could be bad but are there any other things to check?

My Comanche's have delay. 4 positions, (3 if you don't count off) Off, on-delay, lo speed, high speed. Both of mine had parking "issues", cured by replacing the module that velcroes to the lower kick panel of the dash. I'm sure yours has one also regardless of delay or not.

With as many times as the module has been mentioned, I figured it was ubiquitous until I saw the schematics in the Hayne's manual. (Plus, I couldn't find the crazy thing.)

Does anyone have a picture of it in position?

Can anyone else confirm that not all models have the delay modules?

Can't get a pic unless I remove the panel. I stuck my hand under there, its to the left of the A/C vent. Grab the box and you can hear the velcro separating.

KsMJ, I still can't find it. I'm convinced this model doesn't have one.

I'm afraid to drive this thing around here with all the rain we get in case the wipers shut off for good. I think I'll start by figuring out how to hook the motor straight to the battery and let it run and see if it still stops after a few swipes. If not, maybe I have a loose connection.

Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

If it's a 90, it's a standard GM saginaw switch with variable delay. The delay version will have the detents for the two running positions, and considerable rotation for the variable delay. The non delay type will have just the two switch positions.

You might want to get into the cowl, take out the motor and check it for bad bearings, bad brushes and bad park wiper contacts. It's not hard to take it apart and clean it up. A common problem in winter is that if you park the vehicle with the wipers unparked, and then start it later with the wipers frozen, it will burn out the park contacts on the motor, even if you switch the wipers off, unless you also switch off the ignition.

The module is designed with the same type connectors at both ends, one male, one female, so you can plug the harness straight together without the module. If you don't have the delay option, there will be no module. If you do have a delay system and a module, you can test whether the problem is in the module by removing it and plugging the harness together. The wipers will work, without delay.

No worries, KsMJ.

Today was the only day I had to work on it so for time's sake, I just went to the local 4x4 yard and got a wiper motor for $20. (I need to take the Jeep to the airport Friday for a flight to Oakland.)

I will take Matthew's advice and take the removed motor apart later and see if I can fix it.

Of course, it rains nearly every day all winter long but not tonight when I want to test it! I took a spray bottle and sprayed the windshield and let it run for a bit. It's lasting longer than before (and both speeds work) so I think it's good to go. (Knock on wood.)

Thanks for the help.

Just in case anyone lands on this thread on a search, here is an update. I replaced the wiper motor and during the next rain, I tested it but the problem was still there. The wipers stopped midstream but eventually will return to the off position. A quick on and off turn of the switch always seems to work. Leaving the switch on results in them getting stuck briefly at some point.

I then replaced the switch that the turn signal lever plugs into. (Not an easy job for a newbie like me.) I got everything put back together and I can drive but the horn doesn't work now! Anyway, I was able to drive through the rain for 45 minutes the other night with no stoppage. It seems as though this problem is fixed but I'll report later after some further usage.

i have a similar problem, however, my wipers do not work at ALL. i tried looking for a fuse but all the ones under the dash are fine (except tail lights, that keeps shorting out) but i go to turn the lever and NOTHING happends, not even the washer sprayer works. is the fuse somewhere else, and where is the relay for the wipers? this is in a 91 briarwood.

I just put my interior back together after doing the heater core. I also took out every piece of trim to clean it adn freshen thing up again. (looks liek it is brand new!) Anyways now I have no intermentant wiper mode. I put it in the on-delay position and they just act as iff they were on low. I know that the wiper delay is hooked up. I am assuming that the delay is the black box that is velcroed to the lower dash panel. If this is it why are there so many wires hooked up to it?

That is the delay control box-- don't know why there are so many wires. I had both high and low function when my box went out but I don't know if that is typical.

For Serveck, the wiper circuit is protected by a circuit breaker in the under dash fuse panel. It is a small rectangular metal unit, 5.5 amps I believe. The breaker on my 85 has lasted for 22 years but the contacts have corroded from time to time requiring cleaning. They finally got so thin that I had to tin them.

Further update:
The stupid wipers stopped again midstream. After replacing the motor and the switch, I'm guessing it's a loose connection somewhere. (There is no intermittent delay module on this one.) It always seems to come back to life after an [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']indeterminate [/FONT]amount of time.

It should be fun trying to trace a wiring issue when the problem is intermittent!

Pelican said:
That is the delay control box-- don't know why there are so many wires. I had both high and low function when my box went out but I don't know if that is typical.

For Serveck, the wiper circuit is protected by a circuit breaker in the under dash fuse panel. It is a small rectangular metal unit, 5.5 amps I believe. The breaker on my 85 has lasted for 22 years but the contacts have corroded from time to time requiring cleaning. They finally got so thin that I had to tin them.
Could you take a pic of you 85 fuse box and show where that circuit breaker is. I cant find a diagram that has all the circuit breakers and the flasher labeled on it. PM ME if you can . it would be greatly appreciated

I will get a diagram to you as soon as I can. In the meantime, the breaker is roughly 1-1/4 in x 3/8 in. It is mounted horizontally at the very bottom of the panel. Hope this helps.

Pelican said:
I will get a diagram to you as soon as I can. In the meantime, the breaker is roughly 1-1/4 in x 3/8 in. It is mounted horizontally at the very bottom of the panel. Hope this helps.
Yea I found it. The problem I'm having is the interminttent is gone on mine and when I turn it to the delay setting they just run on low. They also will not return to the starting position if I turn them off in the middle of a swipe. Very annoying!

Back