• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ or YJ Crossmember?

swbooking

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever tried to use a TJ/YJ crossmember on an XJ? They're so much wider then the XJs, they could act as a TC and tranny skid. Maybe just plate it with some 3/16" and they mount in three places instead of two. I would also imagine that the mounts for the tranny would be in about the same position. Got easy access to one and my crossmember needs to be replaced so i was just wondering if anyones ever seen this?
-Allen

really? I only imagined they would hang like maybe an inch more then normal.

but if they do, maybe you wouldn't need a tc drop and this may not get hung up as easy because of the size. I have wondered this myself, but never took the time to look.

The older ones hang down about three inches, the newer ones are 4 inches or more. Plus they are not very strong. I'd stick to aftermarket/fabbed.

You can kind of see it hang down here:
35s20019fm.jpg

I have one that's hammered that anyone can have.... :)

huh, that still only seems like itd hang like 2 inches max... idk though id have to fit one. Ill just have to get one and check it out.

That one hung three inches, but I beat the crap oout of it and bent it in a bit of a "U".

This a bad picture, but you can also see that the TJ frame narrows from the rear to the front, I don;t recall the XJ frame rails doing that.

bottom5eg.png

It would be a good base to cut up and rebuild to someone who has time i guess. I still would want a skid wrapping up the frame channels though.

Back