• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 conversion

cut/torch old perches off...

weld new ones at correct angle/distance from center...

buy new flange adaptor or combo u-joint...

mod brake lines...

kinda simplified but not too difficult a job...

best bet is to search past write-ups...

there's a LOT of them...

including my full width swap:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58187&highlight=8.8+swap

I'll help out on the brake lines. We have swapped a couple of these lately, no XJs, but 1 TJ, and 1 YJ. They use the same brake setup as an XJ.

Standard Brakes:

We have found the easiest thing to do is get 2 Drivers side hoses (for the explorer, not the jeep).

Get 2 lengths of hard line with the same thread, one about 12", the other will need to be a 48" line cut to fit and re flanged. You can get tools to do this at most parts stores.

Use the factory hose (with the T fitting).

Basically, looking from the rear, the order would be:
Caliper - Drivers hose -12" hard line - T fitting- custom hard line bent over diff- Drivers hose - caliper

For the E brake:

All you really need is 2 small cable clamps!

You can actually use your existing lines. The PITA is you have to cut about 4-5" of the outer sleeve off without cutting the cable itself.
The sleeve is winded steel, so I found you can basically unwind it.

Next, adjust the e-brake cable so it is as loose as possable. This is important or there will be too much slack when done.

Once you get the sleeve cut, insert the cable in it's location. Then wrap the cable around the lever and secure with the clamps.

Next tighten the cable, removing any slack, till the levers start to move. Then test the brake and re adjust as needed.

I don't have any pics of the ebrake, but here you can see the main lines on the TJ.
DSCF1222.jpg

Good luck!, XJs are an easy swap.

Last edited:
TRAILREADYXJ said:
I'll help out on the brake lines. We have swapped a couple of these lately, no XJs, but 1 TJ, and 1 YJ. They use the same brake setup as an XJ.

Standard Brakes:

We have found the easiest thing to do is get 2 Drivers side hoses (for the explorer, not the jeep).

Get 2 lengths of hard line with the same thread, one about 12", the other will need to be a 48" line cut to fit and re flanged. You can get tools to do this at most parts stores.

Use the factory hose (with the T fitting).

Basically, looking from the rear, the order would be:
Caliper - Drivers hose -12" hard line - T fitting- custom hard line bent over diff- Drivers hose - caliper

For the E brake:

All you really need is 2 small cable clamps!

You can actually use your existing lines. The PITA is you have to cut about 4-5" of the outer sleeve off without cutting the cable itself.
The sleeve is winded steel, so I found you can basically unwind it.

Next, adjust the e-brake cable so it is as loose as possable. This is important or there will be too much slack when done.

Once you get the sleeve cut, insert the cable in it's location. Then wrap the cable around the lever and secure with the clamps.

Next tighten the cable, removing any slack, till the levers start to move. Then test the brake and re adjust as needed.

I don't have any pics of the ebrake, but here you can see the main lines on the TJ.
DSCF1222.jpg

Good luck!, XJs are an easy swap.

I think you meant 2 passenger side hoses. The driver's side has the Y fitting with the extra hose.

A 7/16 bolt and nut welded to the inside of the spring perch holds the end of the brake line well for the rigid line hookup.

You can use the breather fitting from your old axle to hold down the frame side brake line to the axle tube and connect your breather to it. The fitting from the 8.8 is too short because it wasn't designed to hold the brake line.

RedHeep said:
I think you meant 2 passenger side hoses. The driver's side has the Y fitting with the extra hose.
Yup, sorry bout that!

And yes about the breather hose too. On a TJ it happens to be right in the way of the UCA mount so we had to relocate it, and used a seperate mount for the brakeline.

Back