• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confirm My Build-Up!

GlennH

NAXJA Forum User
I've been planning a build-up for a few weeks now. Been reading alot, gathering info etc. I'm going to post my build up and i want you to comment on it and/or make adjustments. Just a heads up I don't even own an XJ yet. I'm about to buy one locally shortly. I have a few I've been looking at. Mainly in the 97-99 range. Im after an 8.25 rear end.

- Rubicon Express 4.5” Super-Flex with Rear Springs
**Swap to the 5.5” Coils & 4.5” Leaf Springs**
**Upgrade to the HD Trackbar**

- TnT Y-Link Suspension Upgrade

- Heavy Duty SYE/CV Driveshaft Combo, NP231

- Old Man Emu Jeep Steering Stabilizer

- Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks, set of 4

- Rusty’s Lock-Rite Locker – Chrysler 8.25

- Tires: 5 x Super Swamper TSL or LTB 34x10.50Rx15LT
- Wheels: 5 x Rock Crawler Series 97 Wheels (15x8, 3.75” BS, 5on4.5)

- Rock Lizard Fabrications – Monitor Lizard XJ Front Bumper

Additions:
Rear Hidden Hitch
Gears / Carrier
Trimming

Make sure you get some tow points on there before you do any wheeling, I can't count how many times my rear hitch has come in handy.

As for getting the 4.5 kit then upgrading, are you going to upgrade right away? If so, why not just buy the components you want from RE instead, and it will save you some money and you won't have extra control arms if your going Y-link (I recomend, I'm about to do the same), or track bar, coils and leafs if you are going 5.5. Just seems a little pointless IMO.

As for the lock-rite, the 97-99's have 29 spline 8.25's and they don't make full lockers for them, only limited slip. (I was just checking this out for myself the other day).

Also, you would have to check to see if you get the 231, most I have seen in the 97-99 range have been 242.

jeepin.com allows you to buy the 4.5kit with the free upgrade.they also -180 bux so i dont have to buy the arms from the kit. All I pay extra is for the HD trackbar. 75 bucks.

what locker can go into the 8.25?

I really want the NP231 also. What yr has the 8.25 and NP231? This way i can narrow my search.

the front bumper has tow points and has a sterring box brace built into it. Should be strong. I see guys using them all the time.

Also, if the Jeep has ABS, it is gaurenteed to have the D35.

And its not like one specific year has the 231 and 8.25, they vary.

Sorry TNT, this is true, I didn't specify, and thanks for pointing that out.

What I meant was the company Powertrax doesn't make a full locker for the 29 spline, only their limited slip will work with the 29 spline, where as Powertrax does make a full locker for the 27 spline 8.25. I found this out after I did some research on them last friday.

I didn't mean it sound like there are no lockers for the 29 spline, which I can see how it sounded like thats what I was saying.

Begster said:
As for the lock-rite, the 97-99's have 29 spline 8.25's and they don't make full lockers for them, only limited slip. (I was just checking this out for myself the other day).

Not true, they don't have a lock-rite, BUT The powertrax no slip IS a full locker, NOT a limited slip!!! It's the only lunchbox available, there is also a Detroit and an ARB for it.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Not true, they don't have a lock-rite, BUT The powertrax no slip IS a full locker, NOT a limited slip!!! It's the only lunchbox available, there is also a Detroit and an ARB for it.
I read about the no-slip and it sounds good. not as expensive like a detroit. Will help for the DD.
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_38_644&products_id=2758

91 Jeep Project said:
Find some different shocks (read Bilstein). OME's are great, but not made for as much lift a you're after.
I looked into the 5150's. thanks

Back