• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy T-case?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up my 96 XJ, At very low speeds I can hear what Im guessing to be the T-case in action. Just a slight metallic spinning noise. Obviously if the sound gets worse Ill look into it more.

I called the PO and he told me that he was aware of the sound and that it was the T-case but that he check the whole thing out and oiled it up. Replaced the axles and he thinks its the U-joints.

Does this sound normal to you guys?

Thanks!

slight metallic spinning noise?(please be more specific) Tapping, clunking, banging, popping, rubbing, scratching. does it change with rpm?

you can remove front d/s, that will tell a lot
raise all 4 wheels off the ground put in gear and have a look around underneath, have someone help for safty(jeep falls off jackstands)

Thanks guys, Ill get in touch with the PO.

Its not a loud noise, Its like I can hear the axles spinning. Its not high pitched and it doesnt get louder with RPM's. I can only hear it when pulling away from stop signs and driving into parking lots and such.

Back