• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walmart only mounts stock-sized tires

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
My xj that I bought off ebay had bald tires, so I got new ones off ebay as well: 235/75r15 BFG AT. The jeep had 225/75s when I got it.

They said that they couldn't mount the new tire 'cause they were the wrong size. Retards. I said I'd sign a waiver or something and take responsibility, but they still wouldn't do it. So I went up the road to another shop and had them do it. Costed about $15 more, but they had no prob. with it.

Just a heads up to save some hassle.

IH8RDS said:
The biggest thing I found at tire shops including WalMart is that they will not mount tire that they didn't sell you. Try getting used tires mounted and see what happens.
I don't know about the Walmarts near you guys but, I bought my 31" BFGs from Discount tires online, had them mounted at Walmart and got lifetime rotation and balancing to boot!--------Hans

Costco is another place with odd regulations

They will mount and balance tires that aren't the OEM specified size, but they won't put them on your car

They put 265x75's on mine. They said they wouldn't fit, but....

I have 3.5 lift, they fir fine, I'll trim fenders soon.

I got 31x15 BFG Ta/ko's from Sam's with the road hazard for about $120 each installed. While I was watching them mount them I was talking with the guy and most of the corporate places in town won't touch tires they don't sell.

If you're in a real bind you might try looking on a place like Tirerack and see if there is a tire shop near you that does it for less if you bring them in.

Course you can always go to Tractor Supply and get the whatchamacallit so you can DIY.

I've heard both ways, some do.....some don't.
Maybe whatever the Tire and Lube express manager says goes. I don't know.

I've also heard some that will only mount new tires, no loose used tires.

The local WM here will mount pretty much anything you bring in.

F Wal Mart, F em right in the eye.
I never worked there, but ive been there afew times and ....yeah
Had my oil changed there once, (i had a gift certificate otherwise i would never have gone there) They left that big fender cover-towel UNDER the hood.It had thier batery logo on it. It wrapped around the engine fan, slung around like a crazed weapon, and ripped my transmission lines off, dumping the fluid all over the road and everywhere else. UGH
None-the-less i dont trust em to do a damn thing to my jeep.Or my wifes Saturn. The guys they have there are usually sub par as far as training.

Besides at NTB they usually have fresh coffee :)
As i live longer i appreciate customer service more and more. Ill pay a little more money for better customer service as opposed to going to a big box store for a 10$ savings.

And Wal MArt can go bl0w a donkey....as far as i am concerned

Here in Ohio none of the Chain tire shops will sell and mount oversize tires, with them it is a liability issue.

If you purchased the tires from someone else they will mount anything.

IH8RDS said:
The biggest thing I found at tire shops including WalMart is that they will not mount tire that they didn't sell you. Try getting used tires mounted and see what happens.

I did.

32's even....mounted and balanced, and new valve stems ( which I needed) for $45.00.

THe little cute blonde behind the counter was nice on the eyes, and she wants a jeep thats lifted. So..being the benevolent SOB I am...I let her drive it in the parking lot.

Jeep smelled good for days.

IH8RDS said:
They mounted my tires that I bought somewhere else. No problem. And they were quite nice about it !

They didn't want to mount my 31"MTs saying they can't go more than 1 size above OEM. All I said was that "it has a 3.5" lift." I don't know if they pocketed the money, I don't care- they put them on.

i got some 31's from a friend that were almost bald and took them to discount tire and they mounted them no problem for $16 a tire

$16 a tire??u crazy?? mounted and balanced for $8cnd per tire.

Costco is the same way...they gave me hell when I tried to go up to a 235 from a 225.......When it was all said and done, I got my way :D But I had to drag the guy behind the counter out, show him that there was plenty of room to go up just that one size, and I had to promise that I wouldn't sue them if there was any damages from rubbing.

Back