• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem with my idle on 89 XJ

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a problem with my idle, is had been like this since my serpentine belt was replaced and tightened? not sure if it has anything to do with it?

I cleaned my IAC and TPS but that didnt helpt at all

when i start up my XJ it idles really hight for a while, even when im driving, then it will drop and sometimes just dies?

i have no idea what to do?

any suggestions?

thanks

blazinjames said:
Im having a problem with my idle, is had been like this since my serpentine belt was replaced and tightened? not sure if it has anything to do with it?

I cleaned my IAC and TPS but that didnt helpt at all

when i start up my XJ it idles really hight for a while, even when im driving, then it will drop and sometimes just dies?

i have no idea what to do?

any suggestions?

thanks

Search here for "high Idle". There are a whole series of items that can cause it. You need to read up and start testing parts and grounds with a multi meter.

What year, engine...... is it?

How did you clean the TPS? You may have damaged it by cleaning it, unless you cleaned just the electrical connector pins and not the sensor body.

i had a similer problem with my 90 XJ mine was the TPS senser was not in tune go to a shop and see if your TPS needs to be tuned, also it maybe your map senser.
-Keep Jeepin

Spray a little oil, so it goes behind the plunger on the IAC. Don't try to move the plunger.
Behind the plunger where you can't really clean, gets gummed up too.
Don't try to spray it out with solvent or anything, there is grease on the plunger shaft, that needs to be there. But the grease does get full of junk and gets stiff, a little spray oil may loosen it up some.

the engine is a 4l

i took off the aic sprayed this cleaner i got for electrical things, then did the same to tps..i dont think i did anymore damage because it didnt change anything...

im need to get a multi meter and start testing everything i guess...maybe it would be a good idea to just take it to a shop??

i hate paying to get things fixed though!

thanks for the advice

Take the IAC off, be carefull of the screws, don't snap them off. Scrape out the seat (in the opening on the side of the TB) with a piece of wood or something, same with the rubber stopper (plunger). Let a drop or two of light oil run behind the plunger, reassemble and see what happens.
Might as well clean the electrical plug for the IAC, while your at it. And check the ground at the dipstick holder. The IAC takes quit a bit of current to work right.

blazinjames said:
the engine is a 4l

i took off the aic sprayed this cleaner i got for electrical things, then did the same to tps..i dont think i did anymore damage because it didnt change anything...

im need to get a multi meter and start testing everything i guess...maybe it would be a good idea to just take it to a shop??

i hate paying to get things fixed though!

thanks for the advice

And the year is?

Back