• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Titan 4.7 Stroker (Lifter Noise or Worse?)

rbishop

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running a 4.7 Titan Stroker for a little shy of a year now and about 2 months ago I heard some loud ticking coming from the top of the motor. I took off the valve cover and narrowed it down to a collapsed lifter. I contacted Titan about it and they sent me over a new set. The noise went away but now it's back. I haven't taken the valve cover off again to check if there's any slop between any push rods and rocker arms but I betting that it's the lifters once again. I mentioned the problem to a few engine techs' and two of them said the engine might not be "oiling" properly. I've been trying to contact Titan (since Fri', March 2nd) but they haven't gotten back with me.

Any advice? Could this just be another bad lifter? Or do you guys think there might be a more severe problem?

I'm going to guess you have a cam lobe going flat along with the failed lifter.

It's not that much more work to pull the cam when you have the head off to pull the lifters. I would check it out carefully, or just replace the old cam along with a new set of lifters. Just went through this myself.

Bones :skull1:

Was this motor built with a Crane cam? If so might as well pull the entire motor out and build from scratch. After my second Crane Cam died, I had to start over since the busted cams took out EVERYTHING else in the motor.

AARON

Bones said:
I'm going to guess you have a cam lobe going flat along with the failed lifter.

x2.
I went through the same pain 4 months ago with my Crane cam/lifters. I replaced them with the old stock cam, new lifters, and new cam bearings. I've done 4700 miles since then and so far so good (knock on wood). Performance loss going back to stock cam was hardly noticeable.

MudDawg: I typically spend a few hours searching prior to posting. There's a lot of information (which is helpful) but I still wanted to spell out my exact concern with my unique variables (stroker, etc..) so others could give me some opinions.

Thanks guys. I'm going to pull the cam this weekend. I'm not sure if it's a Crane or not.

Does anyone know if Titan uses Crane cams in their strokers? Chuck (or anyone else) from Titan has yet to return any of my correspondence.

Sorry, there are a huge number of threads that relate...and you can call me analog man...(modern version of Cro Magnon) I don't know how to cut and paste...yet.

Back