• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think I found the XJ for me

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
'99 with 172k on it, 5 speed, NP231 tcase, power locks/windows/mirrors, cruise. Dealer's asking $2550 but I think I could get it for $2300 without much trouble. It has a couple problems, the most severe of which is a noise while driving from the front end. It's not really loud so I can't tell if it's a bearing, u-joint, or differential. The front passenger window doesn't work, the motor spins but the window won't move, it's duct taped up. It needs the blower motor resistor pack, only high works. (Is this hard to get to btw?). Any reason I shouldn't get this? Did manual trucks get a different diff ratio?

blackxj1.jpg

This is the 8.25" rear, right?
blackxj2.jpg

blackxj3.jpg

blackxj4.jpg

blackxj5.jpg

My opinion. Low-ball this guy. First, dealers can't move 5 speeds. Second, there isn't a regular joe on earth that is going to buy that thing with all the problems listed. Not everyone is willing to purchase a vehicle that needs work. Dealers are dying to get cars like that off the lot. l

Passenger window problem is the regulator. Mine was about $100 from the dealer, but i'm hearing they're about $200 now...not sure if that's true or not. I'm pretty sure that's the 8.25....but something just looks different about it to me, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Don't think I like all that rust under there though....but I guess being in Cleveland, that's probably nothing compared to some other vehicles....

yeah i think i would low ball him too. especially because you dont know what the front end problem is. explain to him you dont know how much your going to put into it so you are only willing to spend so much.

Sounds like for about $3000 after repairs you would have a decent XJ. My opinion, if you could buy it for $2300 it wouldn't be a bad deal if it has no unknown problems.

Around here the 5sp wouldn't be a problem for the dealer. I do agree that a "regular joe" most likely wouldn't be interested in this vehicle. It does appear that the dealer may be a franchised GM dealer and I would expect if that is the case he wouldn't normally want to retail a vehicle in this condition.

I wouldn't sell that vehicle to a "regular joe". I would prefer to avoid that fuss and muss and send the vehicle to a wholesaler. No hassles that way. I could probably get $2000 from the wholesaler with no hassles.

If you pay the dealer a little more than he could get from a wholesaler then you both win.

Good Luck.

Keep in mind that there are tax and license ontop of the price.
I would offer 1800 + T&L that will get it off there hands and get you a decent price.
As far as the noise goes, I wouldnt sweat it. You will need to regear and change carrier in front. Lift will replace almost all the suspension stuff and elect windows??? Must be nice. Actually I have them on my 90, but not for long. I will be going doorless soon and swapping the door out for manual window doors.

I just got a 01 with 90,000 miles and loaded for 6700 and it only needed uca bushings and an alignment.

Good luck

I offer $2k and buy it. Come on people!! a '97 is still a '97. I'd but it sight unseen.

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen such a dirty vehicle from a dealership. It looks like they didn't even vacuum the interior, lol. Most of them completely detail it, including the engine compartment.

heyjpark1 said:
I offer $2k and buy it. Come on people!! a '97 is still a '97. I'd but it sight unseen.

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen such a dirty vehicle from a dealership. It looks like they didn't even vacuum the interior, lol. Most of them completely detail it, including the engine compartment.

Too bad it's a 99 :)

And them not even bothering to clean it up isn't that unusual....the fact they weren't going to inspect it though....I'd have to wonder if there is more wrong with it....

So I called and told them I can do $1700+tax, based on all the problems. The guy was the last one there and on his way out so he couldn't check if he can go that low but will call me tomorrow. Then there's the $198 "document processing fee." At least it's better than the $250 I've heard from other dealers. What BS. Anyway, because of the fee, $1700 is the highest I'll offer them.

That sounds like a good price to offer if it were me. Let us know.

That's the front axle you are showing a pic of, which is a HP dana 30. You don't have abs so it's more than likely a 29 spline 8.25 in the rear though.

take your time. i picked up an entire 89xj for 250, minus the radiator and the rear seats. it runs decently too. take youre time, xjs are everywhere. goodluck :)

Back