• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air-conditioning removal

sassyspapa

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Minnesota and have no real need for air conditioning. It doesn't work well anyhow. After I get the freon professionally removed, what problems am I going to run into in removing the system? By the way this is a 1989 xj with a 4.0.:cheers: As always in advance, thanks a lot!

sassyspapa said:
I live in Minnesota and have no real need for air conditioning. It doesn't work well anyhow. After I get the freon professionally removed, what problems am I going to run into in removing the system? By the way this is a 1989 xj with a 4.0.:cheers: As always in advance, thanks a lot!
Not a whole lot to be honest with you. Here's what I would do.
1. Pull the radiator brace and if you need to the header panel. Remove the condenser.
2. Pull all lines.
3. Remove the compressor, go to NAPA, Oreilly's, Advance Auto, wherever and get the delete pulley. Or just leave your compressor on, I would just get the delete so you don't have to worry about the compressor bearings any longer. I'm not sure if they make one for an 1989 yet though since I now have a 1991 A/C bracket on my 1990 (it's a different mounting) but I know they have one for 1991<.
4. Remove the receiver drier.
5. Go to your local Ace/True Value's brass plug section. Get two plugs that will thread onto the evaporator core threads so water and air doesn't go into your heater box.
Otherwise I'd say this should only be a 3 or 4 hour job and should be a snap. The only thing I've ever run into while doing A/C work is rusty lines but if you're ditching it, you can hacksaw the lines if needbe. Good luck man.

Thanks for the quick reply ! What about the electrical system clutch relay, things like that. I would really like to eliminate anything to do with the airconditioner as much as possible.

sassyspapa said:
Thanks for the quick reply ! What about the electrical system clutch relay, things like that. I would really like to eliminate anything to do with the airconditioner as much as possible.
Man, I don't know too much about all that. I suppose the clutch 12v and low pressure sending unit wires you could just cut and stuff back in the wire loom. As far as the compressor relay just pull that out. There really isn't a whole lot inside the cab on ours that you could get rid of real easy without pulling the whole dash I don't believe.

POSJ said:
Renix would it be tough to convert the A/C compressor over to an on-board air system compressor?

Nope, it's pretty easy. JIM.

I don't have one. I found how to do it on here. Just do a search for oba. JIM.

after removing the ac and all that jazz under the hood. if a guy had a heater/ac control panel out of his parts jeep could he then hook that controller up thereby eliminating those unnecessary selections

Rather than drag up an old thread, I'm going to be removing the AC compressor from my 98. Once I get the freon evaced, what's the process for removing it, just removing the belt, lines, and unbolting the bracket?

Also, can I just loosen the bracket bolts and adjust the compressor enough to get the belt off?

Rather than drag up an old thread, I'm going to be removing the AC compressor from my 98. Once I get the freon evaced, what's the process for removing it, just removing the belt, lines, and unbolting the bracket?

Also, can I just loosen the bracket bolts and adjust the compressor enough to get the belt off?

You need to do a bit of research. I don't believe that there is an a/c delete pulley available for the later model XJs, so you will have to do some figuring for the serpentine belt.

You need to do a bit of research. I don't believe that there is an a/c delete pulley available for the later model XJs, so you will have to do some figuring for the serpentine belt.

I actually just needed to remove it from my parts XJ to sale. I discovered I could remove the 4 bolts on top, then tilt the compressor forward to slip the belt off. Luckly I don't need to replace it because I don't plan on the Jeep moving under it's own power every again.

After looking at it, I believe a AC delete pulley assembly that fits a 4 long bolt Sanden for a 93-96 XJ or 90's Wrangler will work.

Ron

OOPS! Missed the above post while I was writing. Never mind :)

Or instead of everyone using an AC delete pulley why not remount the alt up top in it's place getting it away from water and using a shorter belt then there's no worries.

You can just loosen the bolts and slip the belt off that way.

When I deleted the AC on my 95, I did not bother to remove the whole compressor. Unless you're concerned with under-hood appearance, or feel the need to save a couple of pounds of weight, the AC pulley bearing is as durable as the bearing in the delete pulley, perhaps better. I'd just leave it there and let it spin.

Remounting the alternator and using a shorter belt seems a fine idea if the shorter belt is readily available, and if you make sure you know and record what belt it is. You don't want yourself or someone else to be stranded somewhere with an unknown or exotic belt.

I'd personally repurpose the compressor to be an OBA compressor... probably not as useful for a non trail rig though. I saw an AC delete pulley at the JY today (forget what year it was for), if you want I can check to see if it's one you can use when I go back next Saturday. I'll mail it to you for whatever they charge me plus shipping.

770k6, a 77'', 6-rib belt. i have a terrible memory, but have no problem remembering my belt size. ALSO have it written on the underside of the hood, next to the oil filter p/n.

its even the same on renix and H.O.

basically, another vote for moving the alternator up top, renix is super easy, and h.o. is somewhat easy, but theres good high output alternators ready and waiting at autozone.

both require SLIGHT fab, the h.o. more so,

i should mention, i used rubix-xj's writeup for the renix relocation, thank you rubix-xj!
belts are also HALF the cost, and HALF the length....

one of my favorite mods.

Back