• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In middle of replacing radiator on 89 4.0 XJ, how do I flush the coolant from block?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of replacing a radiator on an 89 XJ, 4.0 manual trans. I disconnected the lower radiator house and drained the coolant which came from that.

But there is still plenty of coolant in the heater core, pressure bottle, and in the block. I took of the upper hose to the thermostat housing, and it is still full of coolant.

What do I do?

Re: In middle of replacing radiator on 89 4.0 XJ, how do I flush the coolant from block?

OK so I took of the thermostat and housing, and stuck a hose inside the block. Got that flushed out decently.

Now what I am worried about is the heater core. The inside of the hoses for that look nasty! There is a metal tube that screws into the water pump I think.. how do I clean the gunk out of that?

And any advice/suggestions on flushing the heater core? That is what is holding me up right now..

Re: In middle of replacing radiator on 89 4.0 XJ, how do I flush the coolant from block?

Advice - don't flush the heater core. You might end up replacing it if you break some gunk loose inside which is filling a hole or whatever. If your heat is fine don't mess with it. Taking apart the entire dash is not something you really want to do, right? Well not YET anyway.......wait for summer :)

Oh and even if you put in 50/50 antifreeze, it will still have more water in it because there's still some water in the block from your flushing. Test the mixture when all done and add straight antifreeze if necessary to get the mixture as close to 50/50 as possible :thumbsup:

For the metal tube which screw to the water pump, if there is gunk inside (is there really? Kind of suprising) just push a wire inside or whatever, maybe a clothes hanger or what not.

Last edited:
Back