• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ...runs like crap, and flashes code 11 twice when running codes

Moab Systems

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ, 4.0, Aw4. It runs badly. It shudders (for about 3 sec) off of a start, even after it is warmed up (any stop sign, light, etc.) It will also start to sudder when at mid range on the throttle, especially on the highway. The codes it flashes are:

11-No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effects sensor) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Can cause the engine to stop working entirely with no limp-home mode

Then it will flash 11 again

I have replaced:

distributor
hall effects sensor
cap
rotor
wires
plugs
crank sensor
alternator

What could this be?????????????????

The jeep has about 185,xxx miles and I have only owned it since 177,xxx

Pull the inspection cover and check the flywheel for cracks and that the bolts are tight. Shine a flsh light up towards the cranks and lightly pry with a screwdriver. If the flywheel is cracked it can shift enough to cause the CrankPositionSensor sensor to not work. Also check that all the bellhousing bolts are tight.

Back