• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diesel conversions

Dave Buckland said:
Has anybody done a diesel conversion. I,m not sure which diesels are factory installed in europe but i wonder how hard it would be...

I have a working 85 jeep pioneer with a custom installed 1982 Nissan "SD22 diesel engine with the Nissan's 5 speed manual tranny" pulled from a Nissan 720 pick up truck, swapped out for the Jeep's OEM 1985, 2.5 liter gasser.

I did not do the original engine/tranny swap (the engine mounts were hand made by the prior owner), but I finshed fixing some of the other minor issues the original owner (who did the original swap) never got around to doing right. Wiring issues for one.

I had to pull and rebuild the tranny in summer of 2005. Also, I had to improve the engine mounts. I used an old radial steel belt tire tread to replace the damaged rubber in the engine mounts the original owner used! He used solid rubber and it extruded. The solid rubber did not hold up all all. But the tire tread is working great!

I have since converted the A/C to 134-a, had a custom power stearing HP hose made up...etc. etc.

Getting 34 MPG with it!

And its got a wopping 68 HP!

The Nissan SD22 is naturally aspirated. Another engine/fuel injection system that nevers says die, like the Renix 4.0s!

Back