• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch/front bumper or upgraded t-case??

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to get some opinion on what upgrade would be more appropriate. I am considering getting a front winch and new front bumper or upgrade my t-case to a Stak 4x4 2 or 3 speed unit. What would be more worthwhile?

Ben
2001 XJ

(1) This belongs in Modified Tech.

(2) What do you want to do with your Jeep?

Recovery for sure. You WILL get stuck. Before I had recovery points I had to hook up a strap onto my "frame" and try to get pulled out that way.

It was pretty ghetto...

Without knowing what you've already done it's impossible to know, although I would generally agree with those who say recovery should come first.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of XJs with a lift, big tires, a winch, and NO TOW POINTS!!! To me, if you do that, you might as well hang a sign on your Jeep that says, "I'm a moron who wants to look macho, but doesn't have the first clue about off-roading!!!"

So, first and foremost, have you got good, solid, tow points front and rear? Then, have you got a tow strap, shovel, tool kit, a few spares, and a first-aid kit that you carry inside your Jeep? Without these things you're getting way ahead of yourself even THINKING about a winch or new transfer case!

dmillion said:
Without knowing what you've already done it's impossible to know, although I would generally agree with those who say recovery should come first.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of XJs with a lift, big tires, a winch, and NO TOW POINTS!!! To me, if you do that, you might as well hang a sign on your Jeep that says, "I'm a moron who wants to look macho, but doesn't have the first clue about off-roading!!!"

So, first and foremost, have you got good, solid, tow points front and rear? Then, have you got a tow strap, shovel, tool kit, a few spares, and a first-aid kit that you carry inside your Jeep? Without these things you're getting way ahead of yourself even THINKING about a winch or new transfer case!

By a few spares I hope you're talking about spare parts, and not spare tires. Could be miscontrued several ways. Just clearing it up! :)

Back