• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building my own leafpack, some questions....

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
im lifting my 90 2dr xj to 6". i want to build my own leaf packs to save on cash. ive got 1.5" shackles so i would need an extra 4.5". is 4.5" doable by using the S10/XJ leaf combo? and if i do achieve that much will it be very harsh and flex poorly?

as for the front, who makes a 6" coil? its either that or a 4.5" coil and spacers, but ide rather have a full coil.

or maybe a RE 5.5" coil and an extra stock isolator

Last edited:
Search is your friend but I will help you out. This is THE thread on making your own pack or bastard pack http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

There you will find a lot of information. As for the springs I would go with the the RE5.5, my set up with the bastard pack is only 4" which is what I was aiming for since I did not want to get into SYE territory or other more expensive modifications right now. I used the RE3.5 coils and got 4" out of them. That link will show you all different types of bastard packs and all kinds of opinions and flex shots of rigs, even mine. Yes I think it is doable and my set up seems to flex pretty decent.

I have 9 leaves in my pack (10 on the pass side), and it rides very nicely. The key is to keep the spacing even between the leaves which preserves the gradual spring rate change, and to keep the friction down between the leaves. You can either find leaves the right length and keep the plastic friction pads on the ends, then add a short section of plastic liner in between each leaf in the middle between the u-bolts.......or, cut some of the leaves to the right length and use full length plastic liner between each leaf. If you don't use full length liners, using a short piece in the middle and the pads on the ends leaves a gap between the leaves that reduces friction. Clean each of the leaves well and paint with a high quality paint, or even some graphite paint.

If you have patience, and are willing to pull them apart a couple of times, through trial and error you can get exactly what you want.

I'm usen a leaf pack from an explorer.Left the XJ main and installed the explorer pack to it.It flexes fair.The explorer leaf pack,1"block and 1.5"shackle gave me 8" of lift.

Sept242006070.jpg

Back