• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

streched t/c chain

nick86

NAXJA Forum User
can the transfer case chain be replaced w/ t/c in the vehicle? It's on a 96 w/ a np242.

Never have done a 242 but its gravy with a 231, so is doing an SYE in the vehicle as well. Both of the above are easier than pulling the t-case IMO.

Yes. I had my chain stretched a while back. Just remove all the bolts around. Take the two halves apart and boom. You're in. It's not that hard to get out, the only difficult part is holding up those gears and that chain so you can fit the back half back on. You get it eventually though.

Scott

I've heard that anything more than 1/8" to 1/4" is too much slack. Maybe put it back on the gears and see how much play there is. If you can move it by as much as an inch or more than it's probably garbage. I need to check mine this weekend. Gonna just drain the fluid and check it from the drain hole (np231).

Ok, so now I'm thinking I got a 231. My lever has 2wd/4wd high/nuetral/ & 4low. this is a 231 pattern correct?

I should add I'm under a foot of snow w/ no heated garage, so can't check for a tag on t/c.

silent_bob_662001 said:
Ok, so now I'm thinking I got a 231. My lever has 2wd/4wd high/nuetral/ & 4low. this is a 231 pattern correct?
that's a 231 pattern
if it was a 242 you'd have a full time and part time option for 4 hi.
basic premise is the same.

thanks manche, sorry bout the wiener, lol

mecompco said:
Sorry for the slight hijack, but how do you tell if the chain is stretched? Since my 242 is apart on the bench now, this would be the time to change the chain if it needs it. Thanks.

mecompco,

Mine started slipping around the gears when I had it in 4 wheel drive and made a really raunchy clunking noise. I took the case apart... And you could tell the chain was stretched. Here's two comparison photos to give you an idea:

First one: Stretched chain
tcasechain1.jpg

Second one: New chain
tcasechain2.jpg

Scott

scott, so this can be done in the vehicle, from the pic's looks like you just remove a gear and chain & reverse w/ new?

silent_bob_662001 said:
scott, so this can be done in the vehicle, from the pic's looks like you just remove a gear and chain & reverse w/ new?

You got it. Didn't have to unbolt the crossmember to lower the tranny or anything. Although, that can always be done to make things a little easier.

I switched the chain out in a few hours with the help of a friend while it was sitting on the ground and all.

Scott

I've done it both ways, in the rig and out, and I much prefer doing it out, but it's a matter of personal preference. There aren't that many more bolts to be able to remove the t-case, and it's much easier splitting the case and working on it on the bench.

If the rig has a bunch of miles on it, and this is the first time the t-case has been apart, it's probably a good idea to replce the chain while you have it apart. It's also a very good idea to replace the plastic pads on the shift forks, and it's cheap.

where are these plastic pads? and can they be replaced on th vehicle?

Scott, thanks--from your pics, I think mine is fine--it is nowhere near hitting the side of the case. Just out of curiosity, how much was the chain? If it's not too bad, it might be worth putting in a new one and keeping the old one for a spare. It's a small pic, but here's mine before pulling the shaft:
NP-242.jpg

mecompco said:
Scott, thanks--from your pics, I think mine is fine--it is nowhere near hitting the side of the case. Just out of curiosity, how much was the chain? If it's not too bad, it might be worth putting in a new one and keeping the old one for a spare.

I forget how much it was exactly. I believe it was in the $80 - $100 range. So it's not cheap, but not uber expensive either.

From the picture you provided. I say you look just fine. Mine's a 1997 and I don't think it had ever been replaced. Yours looks a lot more healthy than mine did lol.

Scott

xj² said:
I forget how much it was exactly. I believe it was in the $80 - $100 range. So it's not cheap, but not uber expensive either.

From the picture you provided. I say you look just fine. Mine's a 1997 and I don't think it had ever been replaced. Yours looks a lot more healthy than mine did lol.

Scott

Hey, thanks. This is out of a '92 I bought for parts (140K) my '94 has 180K and I highly doubt it's ever been changed either. The shaft is at Tom Wood's now--I plan to run the '92 and keep the '94 (which has always worked fine) for a spare.

silent_bob_662001 said:
where are these plastic pads? and can they be replaced on th vehicle?

The plastic pads are on the two shift forks, and should be replaced with new ones if the rig has well over 100k miles on it and you have it apart. The pads come in a very inexpensive kit from the dealer. Since the pads sit between the shift fork and the engagement ring, if they wear out you can have trouble with the t-case staying in gear. They're cheap, best to replace them.

Chains are around $100.

Goatman said:
The plastic pads are on the two shift forks, and should be replaced with new ones if the rig has well over 100k miles on it and you have it apart. The pads come in a very inexpensive kit from the dealer. Since the pads sit between the shift fork and the engagement ring, if they wear out you can have trouble with the t-case staying in gear. They're cheap, best to replace them.

Quadratec also sells the pads. Thats where I got mine, never ended up needing them though. Should be in Geoff's case by now. Any idea what the dealer charges for them offhand? I know they were cheap through QT.

Back