• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

explorer backing plates

jsolorza

NAXJA Member #1632
anyone know if the backing plates of 96 explorer w/disc brakes fit a xj dana 44. and if they do fit what mod are required and yes ive been searching, havent had my questions answered

thanks in advance
jsolorza

They will fit, but you will have to redrill the holes for the XJ bearing retainer to get them to work properly.. If your going new, the tera flex kit is straight bolt on for the XJ dana 44.. I have done plenty of both...

ive got explorer rear disc, but it on a currie big bearing housing, its easier to do a zjrear disc swap,

It's a fair bit of work. I installed Explorer stuff on my D44 because I got all of the parts for about $50. Like mentioned above, you have to redrill the D44 pattern onto the Explorer brackets (not an easy task) and you'll also need to fab a spacer for the retainer plate. Here's a link to my post about the swap (sorry no pics): http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86251 there might be some useful info in there if you decide to go that route. For what it's worth, it was well worth it.....my Jeep has never stopped this good!--------Hans

Clean-RC said:
They will fit, but you will have to redrill the holes for the XJ bearing retainer to get them to work properly.. If your going new, the tera flex kit is straight bolt on for the XJ dana 44.. I have done plenty of both...
Scott,

FYI,the backing plates on the explorer rears have different bolt patterns than the crown vic. About a 1/4" or so difference horizontally. But the calipers are pretty much interchangable.

Kyung

jsolorza said:
thanks fellas
kyung thanks much
i got c/v backing plates and explorer calipers for my conversion

thanks
jsolorza
No problem. Thanks for bfast.

Kyung

Back