• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator or Fan?

SKIM

NAXJA Forum User
Hay guys My XJ overheats like most do, and I wanted to know what is the best way to fix this should I get two electric fans or get a better radiator.:dunno:

search before you ask as there are hundreds of threads on this.

No need to search, I'll be happy to answer.

The number one reason for an MJ/XJ to overheat is from the radiator becoming partially plugged over time. It can also overheat if the fan clutch is bad, or if the aux fan isn't turning itself on for some reason. Vary rarely the thermostat will stick, but this is easy to detect if the upper radiator hose stays relatively cool.

If these things seem to be working properly, it's time to pull the radiator and either get it rodded out or replace the radiator. The engine driven fan has proven to pull more air, and be more effective, than another electric fan. The electric may have an advantage at slow speeds, but as the RPM's come up they don't match the regular fan.

I have search and didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for the check list goatman, but my T stat works may be I should get a 180? my fan clutch is new. I got that radiator cleaner stuff from Napa and cleaned mine out like it said to. that is why I am thinking I need a new high flow radaitor.
Thanks

the "radiator cleaner stuff" is not the same as having it rodded out. No you should not get a 180* thermostat........stick with the 195* and fix what is causing your rig to overheat.

I have issues also with getting hot.

I have a 3 core rad, FlowKooler water pump, High flow 195* t-stat inside of a bored out Rock-it T-stat housing. I have upgraded my 92 aux fan with a newer (forgot what year) more CFM fan. All that and still having issues. After some research I junked the main fan and put in a 3300 CFM electric fan ( stock is said to pull about 2600 cfm) mounted inside the stock shroud... yet still am over heating. Even in cold weather!! I am afraid what it will be like running my junk in the summer with the heater blowing like I have to now. I could use the help here also.

I have been reading all the old threads and I have came up with that the 2 row Modine radaitors are the best but I can find any where to get them. if they aren't the best then what brand is.
Thanks

I don't know what all you guys in the States complain about with XJ's overheating...unless we've got different radiators in the export XJ's. I'm running my XJ here in South Africa in temperatures often exceeding 30 - 35 deg C and never a problem overheating. Temperature rises to 100 deg C during slow speed off-roading, otherwise it varies between 90 - 100 deg C.

Are the fins tight on the core? I have found overheating problems with some vehicles because the fins get old and separate from the core. they will crumble and sometimes just pull off the tubes in long strips. Obviously more common on older stuff. As others have said the rad may be plugged.

Most of the fins are fine some are messed up and some are really chewed up in one spot though, but no mud or any thin on out side of radiator to block air flow. I don't know of any place around here that does the rodding to clean it out but when I didi it the water looked clean.

Last edited:
Back