• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure sender Replacement

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question about replacing an oil sender in my 4.0L 90 cherokee i was wondering if i could take it out and not worry about any oil draining out while i do this?

You should lose a few drops, but that's about it. All the oil is in the sump while you're working, except for what's "trapped" in the oil galleys as an engine primer.

No reason to worry about oil loss, but no reason to take your time, either. Have the other sensor handy, and get it in the hole within a minute or so so you don't risk losing your oil priming...

5-90

If it's a one-wire sensor, it wants a case ground. I might use a little RTV Copper if I have it handy, but that's about it. Teflon could end up insulating the threads, and it's a pain to get out of the hole once you get it in there...

Pipe threads are supposed to be "self-sealing," and you can usually get the sensor to seal without adding anything. I think I usually go "finger-tight + 1/2 turn" on the sensor.

5-90

Back