• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper Running Temperature?

miketyson

NAXJA Forum User
Proper running temp?

I recently installed the newer gauge cluster and have a water temp gauge. I have a 180degree tstat installed on the car as well and was wondering if it is running hotter than it should. The needle usually stays on line under 210 in normal driving, but in traffic it moves up to just beyond the 210 mark which seems a little high.. just wondering what kind of temps xj's are supposed to be getting, or get in traffic

Re: Proper running temp?

210 is normal, that's what the motor was designed to run at, the aux fan will kick on 215-220ish.

yep 87 manche is right. 210 is optimal running temp. That seems high to other vehicles thats what it is calibrated to run at, from my understanding for emission reasons it makes less foul junk at that temp.

Actually in popular science or popular mechanics (i think ) last year they had an article and many makers are experimenting with running temps of 350-400 degrees and even higher for emmissions reasons.

So dont worry. its designed for 210, and will last 300k miles no problem at that temp

Yup. I just installed (last month) a new radiator, OEM water pump, all 4 hoses, OEM t-stat (which is a 195) and housing, and the heater hose pipe out of the water pump, in short, everything but the block. Mine runs just under 210, gets just above it in traffic. I don't know what will happen when it gets hot here this summer, but if it becomes an issue I might try a 180 t-stat. But right now it's performing normally.

There are rational people here....:yelclap:

I can change the t-stats. in both of my XJ's and depending on what temp t- stat I use, it can make about a 10-15* diff. in operating temp.
Both have new rads. and waterpumps. With the t-stat opening at a lower temp. it never reaches normal operating temp(210*)

dizzymac said:
I can change the t-stats. in both of my XJ's and depending on what temp t- stat I use, it can make about a 10-15* diff. in operating temp.
Both have new rads. and waterpumps. With the t-stat opening at a lower temp. it never reaches normal operating temp(210*)

Theoretically, this is incorrect. The thermostat opens earlier, but does not control the maximum temperature.

I understand the principles behind a thermostat. I'm am just saying that I run a 160* in my 90' and a 195* in my 91'. The 90' comes no where near the operating temp. of 210*, but the 91' runs around 205*to 210*
In theory a T-stat should not effect the operating temp. but that is just in theory, fact is... it does in many cases.

Back