• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New TPS install ?

bobwatford123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I have a 1990 Cherokee XJ,6 cylinder automatic. It has idled kind of high and erratically since I got it a year or so ago and recently has started shifting up too early, down not early enough etc etc (basically it's shifting into the wrong gear at the wrong time).
From my searches on this site I'm thinking my best bet is a new TPS. I don't want to put much money at all other than buying the TPS into this vehicle. It's up for an emissions test and unless I can fix these other problems I'm not going to bother getting the emissions cleared (the exaust is loud and probably won't pass) and it's probably on it's way to the Cherokee graveyard (ie I won't be bothered putting money into the exaust unless these other problems can be fixed cheaply)
With that in mind, can I just go buy a new TPS and install it and it will be set up and ready to go or are adjustments going to be needed and if so how do I do this without equipment? I'm not a mechanic by any means but can do simple things like replace starters and other basic things.
The problem is I'm dead broke and have to do this myself or basically get rid of the vehicle. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Um ill take the Jeep Off your hands if you are just going to junk it.!!!!
ok that said the tps could be the only problem but it could be alot of other stuff also. You can expect to pay alot for the exhaust if it needs a converter. If not 50-75 bucks should get any minor leaks taken care of.
Good Luck with it!

The new TPS will have to be adjusted. If you dont know someone with a meter of have one and know how to do it, then a auto mechanic is going to charge you $100 for TPS and an aditional $100 to tune it. This is going to help the irratic idle. The other thing that will screw an idle is the idle air control sensor, it sits to the left of the TPS. That is an easy fix but also $100. A new exaust is going to only cost you 100-150. So you are looking into almost $400 to get it to pass. I know because I did it 3 months ago, all three items.

well you can use a voltage meter, forgot the correct volts. The best is hooking it up to a real meter and it will show you where you need to adjust it to. I have a 90 XJ and I was lucky to have someone who knew a XJ guru, he did it for free but I gave him a 20 for doing it.

Must be different on 91's than my 98. Mine didnt need tuned. I put a new TPS in about a year ago, and with dusty/wet/off road conditions, it started to idle and shift funny and the CE light came on again about a week ago. I just unplugged the connectors, blew them out with compressed air(the computer stuff) to get all the dirt and crap out, then plugged them all back in. CE light off and idle and shifts perfectly now. If you're not wanting to spend money try just cleaning the connections before ploppin down the dough for a new one.

Just my .02

Back