• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key Won't Turn

skyjackerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy's 00 XJ, 4.0 auto, is stranded.

Puts the key in, and it won't turn. Every once and a while he'll get it to turn backwards. Right now he's just short of breaking off the key. He's tried turning the wheel as he does this too.

Can't move the gear selector either, mine is a 5-speed, so I'm not sure if you can even do this with an auto unless the key is turned.

Any suggestions?

the shift interlock cable is out of adjustment. remove the black insert into the console (a bunch of phillips head screws) and there are 2 cables attached to the shifter. the one on the passenger side is the one you want. I just disconnected mine so it will start in any gear. After you disconnect it pull it toward the back seat and that should let the key turn. If that is not the problem it is the wheel lock. You just have to turn the wheel to relieve the pressure and then the key will turn.
Good Luck!

Jess said:
the shift interlock cable is out of adjustment. remove the black insert into the console (a bunch of phillips head screws) and there are 2 cables attached to the shifter. the one on the passenger side is the one you want. I just disconnected mine so it will start in any gear. After you disconnect it pull it toward the back seat and that should let the key turn. If that is not the problem it is the wheel lock. You just have to turn the wheel to relieve the pressure and then the key will turn.
Good Luck!

Tried to relieve the pressure on the wheel before-- that was my first idea, as it's happened to my Jeep too.

The cable idea sounds interesting. Now that I think of it, he said that he had trouble with the shifter before too...

Thanks guys!

doesnt sound right, go to where ever it is, do what jess said, and try to move the key.

Back