• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch problem?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I was running around this morning after work doing my end of week errands. after coming out from one place,I went to start the jeep,turn the key,no crank,no power,no fuel pump running,no radio,nothing. this is my 92 4.0 5 speed jeep,so i am thinking maybe I didn't have the clutch pushed in far enough,but I can usually start the jeep without the clutch pushed in. Tried with the clutch pushed all the way in,clutch all the way out,nothing. About the time I was ready to get out and see if a fusible link or fuse or something was loose,the key worked and the jeep started like there never was a problem. whatever it was,it reset my clock and lost all my memorized stations,so i am thinking it wasn't just a fluke. Where can I start to troubleshoot this? I stopped at a couple other places after this and the jeep started and ran fine like normal. any ideas? thanks,Ben

how do your battery terminals look. Perhaps you lost ground contact momentarily- terminals loose, corroded?

91Woody said:
how do your battery terminals look. Perhaps you lost ground contact momentarily- terminals loose, corroded?

Agreed. You lost power, hence the reset electronics. Grab the battery connections and try to move them. More likely than not you need to tighten them. And any corrosion visible, make it go away.Use a wire brush.

If the battery terminal connections are good, look for any other connections, starter, ground wire ends.

make sure to check the grounds that go to the passenger fender and the firewall. I usually put the key in until it buzzes and leave the door open and then play with all the connections or you can watch the under-hood light, and see what causes power loss

Back