• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

key cylinder removal when key wont turn?

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
need to replace it but i cant get the key to turn to pop it out

texinteg said:
push the shifter handle forward. works for me.
yeah that doesnt work so much....

sorry. it was worth a shot. Are you just trying to replace the cylinder? If you are thaey are just made out of cheap metal and you can break them really easily and take them out in a couple of pieces. thats what we have to do at work when a customer F's one up.

this is on a 99 so its not the gm column, if it makes a difference

:cry:

dont need to pull the wheel on the newer ones and the key isnt stuck in it. Half tempted to just go at it with a drill but i have a feeling that it would end bad.

Jess said:
if the key won't turn, it may be the shift interlock cable
and according to the fsm its not serviceable and the column must be replaced, but it feels like the tumblers are screwed

Ramsey said:
and according to the fsm its not serviceable and the column must be replaced, but it feels like the tumblers are screwed

What's not serviceable? You can just disconnect the shift interlock cable. The shifter has to be in park to release it or turn it. When the cable gets out of adjustment, the column thinks the gear selector is not in park. I had this same problem not long back and didn't discover the cylinder was not the problem until I had a new one already in........just trying to save you some work and try all possibilities before you replace the cylinder.

appreciate it, so how do i go about disconnecting it?

If all else fails, you might run it by a locksmith shop (if you can get it moving) and let them give it a try, they might know a trick. I've never seen an ignition lock clylinder that could not be replaced. It's a pain, but not that difficult, a two hour job maybe. And a new lock cylinder can be rekeyed to your key, too. Any locksmith can do it, takes ten minutes. I've done many of these repairs, and I have a steering wheel puller, a horn ring compressor, and a tilt bushing puller (which I made myself designed around the Snap-on one), though you shouldn't need all that to replace a lock cylinder.

According to my ('97) FSM, which should be similar if not the same, you pull the airbag and the wheel. Then there's a hole in the shroud you can see with the wheel pulled, called the release access hole. You stick a screwdriver through that hole and push a release button, and the lock cylinder comes out. The new one just pushes in and snicks into place.

On the interlock cable, my FSM says it's right next to the shifter cable at the front of the shifter, so remove the shifter bezel and console. The interlock cable should be the one on the passenger side. There's a release button on the little clip that attaches it to the shifter bracket. You can push that button and release the cable, then manipulate it until you can turn the lock cylinder (if it's what's causing the problem). In my FSM the adjustment for it is covered in the AW4 transmission section, on the last page.

It finally dawned on me that my uncle is a locksmith, though three hours away, I gave him a call and he gave me a few pointers on how to do it and if that failed, pick up the drill...I wound up going with the drill, turns fine now :D

Kloker I don't think you need to take off the wheel and airbag, just take off the bottom shroud and you can see the cylinder and the release button for it.

Back