• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What comes stock on............

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 2 dr 5speed XJ 4wd and All i know is it has a chrysler 8.25 rear but what about the front end and tranny xfer case and all even the gears can sombody give me this info or a solid place to refer to im planning on alot of work and i need to know compatibility also how much better is the 8.25 than the dana and it the AX15 good if thats what i have thanx:farmer:

your front axle is a dana 30, transmission is an AX-15 since its a 5speed. no way to tell the xfre case without more info. what does your 4wd selector bezel say? and the chrysler 8.25 is stronger than the dana 35, but how much depends on whether you have the 27 or 29 spline version( i cant remember which the 96 had, somebody else should know though)

I'm sure someone else can come up with a source for the details, but assuming you have the 4.0 engine, tranny will be an AX-15, and assuming it is a part time transfer case it's an NP 231. The front is a Dana 30. The stock axle ratio for stick shift 4.0's is 3.07. If you go off road in a stock manual XJ, get used to using low range.

If you have the Chrysler 8.25, then you have the 27 spline. The 29 spline 8.25 was added for the '97 model year. The 27 spline 8.25 is a little stronger than the D35, but the 29 spline 8.25 is preferrable because it's much stronger. Have a good day!

Last edited:
tangowhiskey said:
If you have the Chrysler 8.25, then you have the 27 spline. The 29 spline 8.25 was added for the '97 model year. The 27 spline 8.25 is a little stronger than the D35, but the 29 spline 8.25 is preferrable because it's much stronger. Have a good day!

29 spline was added mid 96.......some had it and some didn't. I forget which month the switch was made. If you call the stealership they should be able to tell you.

Back