• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that Noise...

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been working on the XJ all week and replacing the alternator. Took her in for an oil change (I just dont have the time w/ my work schedule). They recommended a PS flush. Im not about to pay $160 for them to do that. So I used a bulb syringe and sucked out the fluid and ran a few bottles through it till it was pretty clear. Now I have this bad screeching sound when I turn the wheel. It doesnt really do it at full lock more in the middle of the turning radius.

Ive done a search and it seems that I may have tighted the bolt on the PS pulley too tight when replacing it after putting a new alt in? Im pretty sure the belt is tight enough. Im just not sure whats causing the noise (almost sounds like screeching tires in a parking garage...like eeeeeeeeeeee). Any help is appreciated.

Also wondering if I do have to replace the pump how much am I looking at? Would this be a good time to upgrade? If so what upgrades are available?

Thanks
Mike

A pump from autozone is around 90 with a 20 dollar core charge which you get back after returning your pump. I replaced my pump, but I later found out maybe a gasket would have been enough......oh well, that was a year ago.

add more power steering fluid if that doesnt work remove the non pressure side hose with it in a jar start the car make sure that you have alot of pw steering fluid on ghand run it till it comes out clear

if you tightened the belt too tight, it will warp the shafts on all the pulley's causing the bearrings to go bad (causing a squeal)---waterpump, power steering, ac, alternator, can cause the harmonic balancer and idle pulley to come apart.

Napa carries a tool called kirkit II, which is used to obtain the correct belt tension-only supposed to cost about $15

Use a piece of hose and probe the engine compartment and you should be able to pinpoint the location of the noise.

What's the Napa kit like? I thought all you needed was a torque wrench. Two different torque's depending on if the belt was new or used....

I just go by hand, I don't own a torque wrench. And there's a rule that you shouldn't be able to twist the belt 90 degrees or above 90 degrees when installed.

Well I went to Kragen last night and one of the guys there came out with me to listen to it. Its not the belt or the pulley. It sounds like its coming from the pitman arm or some other suspension component. Im really a noob when It comes to most of these things. Im really not sure what It could be but Im going to TDS this weekend and will be in the desert with a 1000 other Jeep guys...Im pretty sure someone can diagnose this.

i bet your belt is too LOOSE. what your arm thinks is tight and what a proper belte tension gauge (Krikit II) says is tight are very different. a loose belt will squeel when the belt slides over the pulley, a overly tight belt will cause bearing failure. check your belt tension.

Most peoples guess of 170lbs for a used belt is closer to 90-105lbs.... Proved it one day at one of my customers garages, 8 bay so he's not that small, 4 mechanics working on 4 jeeps all were getting new water pumps. I had my krikit II with me and proved my point. He went out that day and bought 6 of them from napa.

Blaine B. said:
Wouldn't a torque wrench suffice too?
Nope, you are measuring belt tension not torque tension on the pulleys. The tension gauge pushes down on the belt and clicks, then you read it, the gauge fits in your pocke and looks kinda like a fat pen..

Back