• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 e brake

HolsanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a 98 jeep cherokee and i swapped in a dana 44 rear axle out of an 87 cherokee and the e brake cables dont match up. Do i just have to find stock cables from a 98 and for a dana 35 and they will fit or what cables do i need...please help need it to pass inspection.

Josh

I just put a 44 in mine from a 87 also ( i have a 2000). I used the 8.25 cable and they work fine.

Just un-hook your old ones and re-use them.
Wayne

Last edited:
you can also move the rectangle looking peice to up in the middle of the jeep in the tunnel. Seen it done and works well. I havn't had problems with my 87 d44 in my 98, but I got the 87 ebrake cables with it.

Micah said:
I just put a 44 in mine from a 87 also ( i have a 2000). I used the 8.25 cable and they work fine.
same here, 87 XJ d44 onto a 99 XJ that had an 8.25.

Ran into absolutely ZERO problems.

I just did my swap last week. The Dana 44 e brake cables were 4" shorter on mine. I took off my old Dana 35 cables and everything matches right up.

I put a 44 from an '87 XJ in my 5 speed 4.0 '90 XJ. With 3.5" of lift, I was able to use the stock brake cables that came with the 44 just by moving the bracket that accepts the little 'balls' pressed onto the ebrake cables as far as I could down the threaded rod that comes off of the ebrake assembly.

If your cables also have those little 'balls' pressed onto the lever ends, maybe you'd be better of finding an earlier style XJ parking brake bracket than hunting down and installing new cables - if infact there is a difference.

Those balls/pellets pressed onto the cables simply slip into a bracket that's held onto the threaded rod coming off of the ebrake assembly with two adjusting nuts.

Back