• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking frontend in 4wd

nick86

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have read the threads. I have a loud clunking from the front end, only in 4 wd, only under hard accel. No clunking w/ frt d/s out in 4wd. I have read threads that say motor mounts, axle u-joints, & broken teeth in diff. I replaced all joints in frt d/s a month ago, clunking didn't go away. Now with a foot of snow comming, I'd really like to narrow it down. Axle shaft u-joints feel tight but that's with them installed.Pleaseeeeeeeeee any ideas?

You may think that the clunking is coming from front axle but I will put money on it that your transfer case chain is stretched and jumping teeth. Had a 92 XJ and 92 MJ with same problem. Jumps teeth on chain under hard accelleration and feel like it is in the front axle. Let me know if you want me to elaborate more. Joe

I will check the exhaust pipe clearance as soon as I move the 11 inches of snow we got last night. And what about this t/c chain, is it hard to replace?

Honestly replacing a T-case chain depends upon the damage done in the transfer case if it is actually the chain jumping teeth. I am not saying for certain that the problem is your t-case chain, just saying from experience when the problem can't be found at the front axle then it is probably the t-case chain jumping teeth. As far as replacing it: I have never bought a new chain, I just swapped t-cases that were good, but the chain runs about 50-100 bucks depending upon what t-case you have. If you have looked extensively for the problem elsewhere I would pull rear driveshaft, disconnect the speedo on tail shaft, unbolt t-case cover half, pull cover off and have a look at the inside of t-case. You will be able to tell if the chain is jumping by looking at the inside of the cover, you should be able to see where the chain has hit the cover when it jumps teeth. You may be able to see where the teeth are worn. It is hard to tell whether the chain is stretched by looking at it.

The other method I have of deciphering whether or not it is the transfer case chain jumping teeth is much simpler. You said it only made clunks or noise when you accelerated hard so take the rear driveshaft out, either drain the t-case or just let whatever fluid comes out run out and then drive the jeep with only front driveshaft. My xj would only go if I was very light on the gas when I did this because chain would jump so bad. Problem is when rear driveshaft is in the rear wheels are spinning too which takes the torque off the chain and front axle.

Hope this helps. Joe

Yep, probably the t-case.
mine sounded like it was the front diff.
took out the locker, put back together, and the sound was still there.
it is in the shop right now getting my NP242 completely rebuilt.
good luck.

...BOB

Back