• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS vs Rusty

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got two choices for lifts right now, Rusty's 6.5" long arm and BDS's 6.5" long arm and the question I have is BDS worth the extra 400 dollars or are these kits very similar.

You get what you pay for.... Are there any specific items that one kit has that the other does not? Check and make sure the kits have full spring packs. Don't do blocks.

Did you check out how much shipping is for the rustys kit??? its rediculous. There will be a lot of people saying that rustys is junk and his LA's suck but my buddy runs just his LA's and is pretty pleased with them, but hope something doesnt break, from my experiance its like pulling teeth trying to get something warrantied through him. If your looking at the BDS (wich looks like a very nice piece of work) you might want to check out Full-Tractions 6" long arm. Its got the same 4link and adj. arms all around and flex joints and heims instead of rubber and its price runs considerbly less. I run this kit and am very very pleased with it. Do a search on each manufactuer your looking at on this site and you will get all the info you need to know. Happy wheeling :)

Hear in Edmonton I can get Rusty's shipped to my door for 2350 and a shop in town has the BDS for 2700 and so for the cheapest I could get the Full Traction for is 2850. So I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck. The prices are all in canadian dollars

Problem you may want to look into is the cumstoms you'll get hit with if you order form Rusty's yourself. Find a business who can place the order and not get hit with the customs, cuase I would think on that package you'd get hit pretty hard on it.
I use north shore offroad, out of BC to get much of my stuff, this after dealing with Rusty's and realizing everything I got form him ended up being that price plus about 50% again when I figured in conversion, shipping and customs charges.

see if that same shop can't work with whom ever you decide to go with to save yourself some money (a little extra money in their pockets may save a little more for yours)

thats NSOR price for Full Traction but Rapid Revolutions price here in town for the BDS is 450 dollars cheaper. But what I really want to know is the quality differences between these lifts

Oil Town XJ said:
thats NSOR price for Full Traction but Rapid Revolutions price here in town for the BDS is 450 dollars cheaper. But what I really want to know is the quality differences between these lifts

BDS has a no fine print warranty. I have not ordered a lift from Rustys, you will hear varying degrees of either so so satisfaction to all details missing and bad service etc. I dont think rusty has the greatest reputation for warranty stuff

http://www.bds-suspension.com/Company/whyBDS.php#warranty

if your set on rusty or BDS i say go BDS no question.

Ive nevr seen BDS on the XJs, but ive seen it on Tjs and Yjs...and I like there products a lot. I dont have anythnig against RUSTYs...but in the years ive been around jeeps, I see a lot more complaints about rusty than I do BDS. just my 2cents.

I have BDS 3" on my XJ , awesome kit and great products. My next lift will propably be BDS again.

I like BDS because of their no questions asked lifetime warranty. That seems to be why their kits are so much. Just check out everything they come with. Rusty's makes good lifts too but I keep getting half good half bad responses on them.

BDS is a good idea, have their adjustable control arms,holdin up great, and I can hit the local parts store for warranty issues,no cross border b.s.

From what I've heard they're not even in the same league.....BDS all the way

Rusty's never let me down. He asked no questions and warrantied my trackbar and upgraded me a HD trackbar and frame brace for free and paid for shipping to send it back to me. Rusty's gave me great service and good product. Except that first trackbar. It broke. but this one is tough.

I'll have to throw in my vote for BDS. If QUALITY is what your looking for, their warranty should tell you what you need to know. When you actually lay your hands on the materials they make, you will know the $400 was worth it.
Wow! I didn't mean that to sound so commercial. I really like my BDS!

lowrange2 said:
Rusty's never let me down. He asked no questions and warrantied my trackbar and upgraded me a HD trackbar and frame brace for free and paid for shipping to send it back to me. Rusty's gave me great service and good product. Except that first trackbar. It broke. but this one is tough.

That seems to be the trend with Rusty's stuff. For awhile there every week it was the same thing "I bought a Rusty's ______ and it broke. The new one is much better." The problem isn't the improvemnet, it's the fcact that the customer is doing all the RD and he is fixing his stuff as YOU break it.

There are VERY few if any makers out there using this practice. Rock Krawler is the only other one I have heard of that has done something liek this with thier LA three link and steering conversion.

I have never heard of BDS having issues with things breaking. They have been around awhile and actually test thier stuff before releasing it to the public.

So far I have heard of Rusty's Tie rod conversion, adjustable short arms, Trac bar, Trac bar mount, leaf pack, and LA upper arms faling and needing redesign. I wil say this, that he puts out a decent simple lift kit. I ran his 3" lift for years without issues, but that's just springs.

If given the choice, BDS.

If you talk to him on the phone you get it shipped a little cheaper. I got my exhaust shipped for like 15 dollars. Don't let all the hype about him having bad product discourage you. In the early days his stuff wasn't very strong but its gotten alot better. I would say either kit BDS or rusty's you'll be satisfied. But for the 400 bucks price diff you could almost have a set of tires.

my .02

Wow you guys brought back and old post but thanks for the advice. I did end up buying the BDS long arm kit back in early may and i absolutely love it, it handles great on the road and flex is pretty good to.
heres a couple pictures of the Cherokee

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Back