• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question

if you are lucky there is a sticker on the rear axle next to the drums. What year is your jeep? What engine does it have? Does it have ABS breaks? Does it have a tow package? 97-99 4 cylinders, non - ABS had 4.10's

Last edited:
A 97 Auto would be 3.55's!

Pretty much all year models with a 4.0 and auto are 3.55's and 5 speeds are 3.07's. 4 cyl's are different.

To know for sure (in case the prev owner changed gears) do the following:

Put the t-case in neutral, and jack up the front or rear. Put a mark on both the tire and the driveshaft. Rotate the tire one full revolution and count the number of times the driveshaft rotates. 3.5 times = 3.55.

Can someone chime in if this will work with an open diff? I've only seen it done on a locked diff.

See that's the thing, i'm not sure if they did change the gears. I'm not sure cause I want to put 4.56 or 4.88's in. Don't really no what to do, guess take it apart. When I bought it they didn't say anything about changing the gears. But that driveshaft idea sounds good if it does work on open diff's. I also going to put in lockers if the gears need changed.

Back