• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk Yard Leaf Springs?

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
So soon I am planning on going to the junkyard to get a replacement set of stock leaf springs for my old badly worn stock springs. I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I was wondering what exactly to look for when it comes to picking the best set of springs. I have about 15 Jeep cherokees to choose off of so that is nice. Thanks!!

Unless you can see the donor vehicle sitting with four tires on the ground at the junk yard, it's hard to tell what the springs will be like when you get them on your Jeep. I had a cracked leaf in my old set, pulled one (looked decent enough) from a yard just to get me by until I got a new set. Side by side on the ground, the pulled spring had more arch than the bad one, but when installed, the Jeep had a sag to that side. Unless your sure of what you are getting, I don't think it is worth the effort to R-R with used parts.

Most springs have incredible life cycle, they usually do NOT wear out within the life of a vehicle several times over.

BUT, for some reason, its common for Leaf Springs to sag. I don't know why, I'm guessing the design is prone to damage, i.e. over arch past elastic mode into deformation, etc.

If it was a coil spring or torsion bar, with no damage and you knew exactly what you were getting (part number/ spring rate/ dimension, etc), I'd say yea, get the junkyard ones.

But Leaf Springs, especially considering how cheap new ones are for an XJ, I have to agree with the above posts; Get new ones. If you have to buy a 2nd Junkyard set because of failure or being bad, you'll probably spend more than a new set that you can have confidence in.

We used Dakota leaves under the top Cherokee spring and gained 4.5" of cheap lift. Add or subtract to your liking.

Back