• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Fire Ext.mount Location?

jeepster09

NAXJA Forum User
I have 99 XJ and would like to know where a good spot to mount fire extinguisher that is required for trail riding? It is required to be with-in reach of driver. I can't seem to find a spot that is not in the way for daily driving.:flame:

i have mine in the area between the seat and door sill
can post pics if ya want

justin

Picture005.jpg

The fastest and easiest way to mount a fire extunigsher.

It a MUST HAVE or else :piratefla

It has been there since June of 06 since the last time I caught fire < thats another story

It does not get in the way or anything it does move when I move the seat but no biggie

Last edited:
thats where mine is
and it is #1 on my list of equipment to have :lecture:

I don't have a pic but but the one in the 99 limited I had was mounted in front of the seat. The one in the 87 I have now is on the side. The ones I use are not as big as the one shown but then again if i need a bigger extinguisher then the fire is probibly alot bigger than i need to mess with.

moparmatt said:
Picture005.jpg

The fastest and easiest way to mount a fire extunigsher.

It a MUST HAVE or else :piratefla

It has been there since June of 06 since the last time I caught fire < thats another story

It does not get in the way or anything it does move when I move the seat but no biggie

What size is that fire ext.?

I have mine mounted on the drivers side C pillar. As of yet nobody has hit there head on it, which that was my main concern with the location. It's accessible, out of the way, and out of my line of sight. As well others can see it if I can't get to it.
Cleatus92
Trevor

if for some reason the driver side threashold area isnt cool, maybe the passengers side of the center consule/tranny tunnel tucked up front so you can reach it, but not to take up to much passengers leg room. I have a mag light with a grip lite

allthingsjeep_1937_55705719

it doesnt get in the way, so i figure another 2 inch in diameter fire extinguisher wont be in the way.

Other good place would be the back of the center consule set vertically near whe ash tray, and AC vent dead center on the drive shaft tunnel. That would be a super easy grab, and thats where mine is since i never have 5 people in my xj the fact that it takes up a few inches in the center back seat is no biggie.

jeepster09 said:
Back center of console would work, however it would render the console un-usable during daily driver duties.:rattle:

i may have not been clear, not the lid of the center consule, i mean the back side, as in where someone sitting in the back seats feet would touch. The rear of the consule, mount vertically where the ash tray is and the ac vent.

Sorry i dont have a picture.

Location thoughts for your extinguisher should include being able to reach it without opening your door, without getting out of the rig, being able to reach it if you roll and have it accessible to a passenger if you are injured. So far the best spot is either on the driveline hump behind the center console or on the PS of the tranny hump. It can also be mounted to the seat base of the DS or PS.

Some good suggestions, however most must be thinking of earlier model XJ'S. The 99 does not have room on seat base at all. The seat base is real wide on Limited. The driveline hump behind console is way to short to mount Fire Ext. unless you mount it cross-wise, protruding into passengers feet area. I was hoping someone with '99 or newer found a spot with a picture. From what I can see the only choice I can find that won't take away from driver or passenger space is to mount on c-pillar behind driver. I think it will be reachable with a stretch.

I have my 3lb mounted in the lil recess in the r/r of the cargo area, and have a long slender 2lb mounted to the floor l/s of the drivers seat. Less intrusive, and I have the biggun in the back if I need more.

99 does not have room on seat base at all.

FYI, I think you can remove the plastic trim off the bottom of the seat. That item is eating up the room. I keep my mag light in that location. The extinguiser is in the cargo area cubby. Not the best location, I know...

Back