• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

teraflex brake conversion kit

LivinUpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i got my kit in today, gonna start the work sat with some friends, anyone here done it? anything to expect? looks pretty simple. anything i should know before i start would be nice, if there is anything. aight will take pics of the install.....
dickit2.jpg

also got a new yoke with ubolts!
yoke.jpg

this is all going on my d44 project

hmm is that a common problem?

LuVmyJeepXJ said:
hmm is that a common problem?

It happened to me, happened to someone else as well, except he totaled his rig. I was lucky enough that at that point, the failure wasn't as catastrophic. Though had I of had to drive much further, it would have been. You couldn't pay to put one of those kits on another rig. And if/when it does fail, Tera Flex will leave you blowin' in the wind.

did you go back to drums, or get a different kit?

LuVmyJeepXJ said:
did you go back to drums, or get a different kit?

I have the remainder of the functioning pieces from my tera kit still on there. I almost went back to drums. Spent over $200 fixing what the kit destroyed enough to be able to drive again. Will be installing a TSM kit when my finances permit.

well my jeep isnt a DD hopefully this wont happen in the short amount of times i drive it to the trail and back

The teraflex kit is crap man.. I gave it away after calipers kept sticking for no reason other than they were junk. I'm running Rustang brakes and it works great (wagoneer D44s with 5.38s with stupid ARB airlockers!!!!!). For a e-brake, I use a rear linelock that won't engage when the vehicle is in motion (has to be in Park to engage the linelock, which has worked much better for me that I expected). I really don't need an e-brake anyway as my trans has enough holding power to keep it solid.

I have been running this kit for 3.5 years without a problem. As far as rear disc brake problems in general are concerned it isn't uncommon for them to exhibit a strange behavior. Look how many Grands and Liberty owners have complained of brake clunking, etc over the years. That is from the factory not an aftermarket kit.

I'm not saying that problems can't arise like what happened to 91 Project Jeep, but that is the exception not the norm.

I've been running this set up for around four years. I've never had a problem with it.

Use a partially installed bearing race to align the backing plate when drilling the axle flange to accept the mounting bolts. I would also recommend the Rubicon retaining plates over the Terra kits spacer rings. They are cheap and easily acquired from the local Jeep dealer.

Bones :skull1:

You have to be able to trust your brakes.

Back