• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those of you with 4.88's in your D30?

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few questions for those of you who have 4.88 gears in your D30. I am considering going with them but am just a bit concerned with the strength of the ring an pinion when going that low. I have heard that they are weaker then running 4.56's but have also heard that they have held up fine. I would like to hear from those of you who have them.

- How have they held up?
- How hard do you wheel with them?
- What size tires are you running with them?
- Are you happy with the way they drive and wheel?

- How have they held up?

I broke one set the first time I went out, but that was because I jumped my XJ off a sand dune and landed on the front axle. Even then I believe the ring and pinion broke because the housing flexed, not because of the strength of the ring and pinion. Since then I have replaced that housing and installed a crane diff cover and have had no further problems.

Hard, people tell me there is more then one peddle down there, but that other ones no fun so I don't make a habit of using it all that often, and I’ve never taken a by-pass with out at least trying the hard line first.

33" TSL

Extremely, I worry more about my U-joints then my ring and pinion. I think the HP design of the XJ D30 makes the R&P significantly stronger then the R&P in a TJ.

The key seems to be a stiff aftermarket cover to stiffen up the diff and avoid the flex that seems to spit teeth out.

I've talked to a few people that say 4.88"s aren't an issue with a reasonable skinny pedal and a stiff cover.

sjd78 said:
- How have they held up?
Yes, have held up fine. No issues

No idea on how hard. Im rather easy on the gas, but it has gone through the Rubicon, and a couple other trips with no problems
35'' MTRs
Happy with them, but because my engine is so tired, takes away from the top end speed. Other then that, love them.

A fellow Bako guy, Nice!
I have had my 488's in for about 5 years. Zero Problems. I have went anywhere that I have wanted to. I have 33's and the Disco Housing and stock cover and fresh 4.0.

My Father N Law has 35's, non Disco, stock cover, and a stroker! He has had his in for about 1 year and broke about 3 teeth off while in reverse.

I would say do it. I love mine (untill they break, then I'll piss n moan about it.)

I wheeled a D30 with 4.88's and ran 36" sx's locked, I broke a Ujoint and a main leaf in one (on my yj :p) run but the R&P are still doing good.

I wheel 33" tires on my D30 with 4.88's (obviously no, it's not a DD). I don't wheel serisous rocks often (mostly forrest trails and sand/mud) but when I do, I've been known to substitute skinny-pedal for my lack of a rear locker. (it's something I'm trying to fix; but I'll just be honest here... it happens)

I've been OK so far, but I do remember when I was installing the axel that I was looking at the pinion of a D30 4.88 thinking how small it looked... Kinda like what you'd expect to find on one of those BarBie-Jeeps that 3 year-olds cruise around the yard in... :D

I do have the WARN dif skid that probably adds a good bit of stiffness to the whole thing. And, like I said, I don't hit it hard very often.. but I have given it a few good shots, and it's got me home every time... So far.

- Not that I'll be supprised if it blows to bitty bits... but as I mentioned, it's not my daily driver, so I'll still be able to get to work Monday morning. they ARE fun though.

+

Back