• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 or Dana 35 ???

r6dink

NAXJA Forum User
I have done some searches and such all over this site.
Have found some comparisons and pros vs/ cons between the 2 diffs.

my question still remains...
HOW DO I TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2?

I need to install my suspension lift.
I want to get some replacement U-bolts, but I have absolutely no clue as to which Diff I have.

anyone have a surefire way to tell?
or pics they can post up that i can use as a photo match when i get home tonight?

I have a '96 XJ

CODevilDog,
The link didn't work for me.

I'm far less of an expert than many on this board, but

The Chrysler 8.25" axle has a prominent lip that is cast into the central hub casting, that extends below the diff cover. Its a straight bar that goes across the bottom of the casting and sticks down well below the diff cover and is easy to see.

Do a google image search for each axle, that is guaranteed to come up with the pics you need.

BTW, CODevilDog, but the name I'm guessing, SEMPER FI.

A quick way to distinguish a Dana from a Chrysler. Take off a hubcap. Look at the depression in the axle end. The Dana has an hourglass or figure-8 shaped dimple. The Chrysler dimple is not necked down in the middle (think of a rectangle that's been squashed so the ends bulge out).

Back