• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 cherokee classic FUEL PROBLEM

harwood39

NAXJA Forum User
ok. i have a 98 xj. I have only had it for a few weeks, but when ever i go around a left had turn or accelerate quickly, if and only if i have about a 1/4 tank or less, it stumbles. It starves for fuel at this time. Starts easily, drives perfect when its above 1/4 tank.

Could this be cause by a hole in the fuel hose connecting the pump to the sending unit assembly? its been doing this for a couple weeks now so i doubt it is the pump, plus its fine every other time. It even starts perfect. Just when it gets to that 1/4 tank mark, watch out.

There could be a recall or factory service bulletin about it...run your vin on jeep.com.

Although if memory serves me correct, the fsb was only for a "clanging" or whatever in the fuel tank.

Fuel sloshing around in the tank will starve the pump of fuel, which also acts as a lubricant for the pump.....which still runs without any fuel while the stumbling occurs......

How quickly? It may just be normal.......don't roll your rig!

My 98 has done that since new, it's normal, mine does it on uphill left turns. As a note, it's a bad thing to let it get below 1/4 tank, the gas actually cools the pump as the pump is running continuosly. I try never to go over 200 miles which is about 11-12 gallons without refilling.

RichP said:
My 98 has done that since new, it's normal, mine does it on uphill left turns. As a note, it's a bad thing to let it get below 1/4 tank, the gas actually cools the pump as the pump is running continuosly. I try never to go over 200 miles which is about 11-12 gallons without refilling.

x2, only mine's a 99. I do my best not to let it go below 1/4 a tank as to not starve the pump, or overheat the pump.

Hmmm, my 98 never does that and I always drive it until the fuel light has been on for a while. Fuel light comes on at about 15 gallons, and I usually put in 16-18 gallons. Wonder if you might have some water in the bottom of the tank.

i have heard 97+ xj's doing this when they get higher mileage on them due to the in tank filter being dirty. it always happens when turning left below 1/4 tank. i never let mine get below 1/4 due to the high price of a new fuel pump. mike

The filter is supposed to last the life of the pump, so I doubt the filter would be dirty or clogged since it is designed to filter correctly until your pump is dead.

There was a recent post re this same thing, where the problem was said to be a baffle in the tank that breaks loose... Recalled on one year, apparently, but not subsequent-year XJs which have also developed the same problem.

i do get a lot of sloshing in the tank when it is some what full, so i was thinking the baffle is fucked. but i do my best not to let it get below 1/4 tank now.

is there any way to fix this???? Its getting anoying and I work for EVAC, which is emergency vehicle assistance and communications, and search and rescue. It gets anoying durring fire calls...

Yes, the filters do get dirty, and the regulator on top of the pump assembly can go bad. It's a fairly common problem.

I bought a complete module from ebay - and changed the whole thing. You do need to completely drop the tank on 97+. Mine was $110 + shipping.

Seach for: cherokee fuel pump -grand - on ebay.

The whole thing is held on the top of the tank by a very large plastic nut. I used some 20" long channel locks to remove it.

Back