• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strength of a 8.8

workaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, based on my many searches about the subject. Just how strong is a ford 8.8? I have read that its good up to 37" tires but nothing really beyond that. Basically what my plans currently stand at are 33" tires, ~5" of lift and a 4.8L stroker to put out ~340lb/tq. Does anyone see any issues with running an 8.8 in this type of drivetrain? would alloy shafts be a good idea or ist stock ok? I do plan to run lockers front and rear eventually. with the price I can get an 8.8 its not worth really trying to mess with a 44 or even thinking about the 35 that is currently under my MJ.

Any info or pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

I don´t see any point, where a D44 would be stronger than the 8.8. That´s why I installed a 8.8 under my XJ (7.5", 35" tires)

With the 33 inch tires I´d gear the 8.8 to 4.56 and choose an axle that comes with disc brakes and 31splines. Weld the tubes to the pumpkin and build an axle truss. Throw in a Detroit Locker.

If money is burning in your pockets, get the Superior Super88 Kit (chromoly axles, c-clip eliminator, dual wheel pattern) to bring your 8.8 almost to the strength of a stock D60 (30spline).

In my book, the 8.8 is a great axle for up to 36" or 37" tires locked. It´s not so heavy like a D60 and gives you disc brakes. Over here in Europe, the disc brakes alone will set you back almost 1000$.

To bluegerbill: Maybe near you in Europe :) Here you can get whole 8.8 for 1000usd :)

To the point of strenght, it mosty depens on the type of wheelin you do __

As I run a small salvage yard, most D35 failures I have seen were spider gears/case failures mosty caused by tube bending and low rigidity of the housing. Sou when you do not do rocks I think a 8.25 will hold up ok. Several of my friends run them with no probs, with 33 and no complains... but we do not have ANY rocks ....
I think that when you go rocks, the axleshafts will become an issue.

Last edited:
XJMarty said:
Maybe near you in Europe :)

Here you can get whole 8.8 for 1000usd :)

I mean "the disc brake setup for another axle like the D35" when you buy it from SSB or another aftermarket company.

Got my 8.8 w/ disc brakes, 3.73 and LSD for like 700 usd from a private seller out of a Ford Explorer.

I´ve checked some offroad magazines in the Czech republic (I can read and speak the language), because I hoped to buy some cheap parts, but the prices are very similar to ours here in Germany.

yes, correct, Nice that you can speak Czech, my german is poor,
sometimes you can buy 8.8 even chaper but only from private sellers, about 300usd, salavage yards are about 1000 .... D44 once went for 1500 :)

If you would be interested in buying any parts, let me know, maybe I could help ....

If you read this thread you will see that a 8.8 is much stronger than a dana 44 and is half the price. In my case less than that, i got my 8.8 for $100 cdn form a wreckers, had to pull it myself but for that price it was well worth the time. It only had 3.55's and was open diff but i would rather save the few hundred bucks from getting a lsd with 4.10s and put it towards 4.88's and a locker.

workaholic said:
Ok, based on my many searches about the subject. Just how strong is a ford 8.8? I have read that its good up to 37" tires but nothing really beyond that. Basically what my plans currently stand at are 33" tires, ~5" of lift and a 4.8L stroker to put out ~340lb/tq. Does anyone see any issues with running an 8.8 in this type of drivetrain? would alloy shafts be a good idea or ist stock ok? I do plan to run lockers front and rear eventually. with the price I can get an 8.8 its not worth really trying to mess with a 44 or even thinking about the 35 that is currently under my MJ.

Any info or pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

An 8.8 would be perfect for what you want to do. Aftermarket allow axles are always a good choice, though you don't need them at all with 33" tires. The 8.8 ring and pinion are pretty good size, and should handle 37's easily, but the 31 spline axles are questionable for 37's. As usual, what you can get away with in dirt and mud is very different than what it takes to survive regular rockcrawling use.

That Super88 kit looks pretty good for someone who still needs to get a locker for their 8.8. Since the ring and pinion are pretty stout it makes sense to go to 33 spline axles, which I think would be a good choice for 37's. Plus, the kit adds a little width and eliminates the c-clip, eliminating a couple of downsides to the 8.8. With 35's, it should be virtually unbreakable.

Thanks for all the info guys. So if I understand all of this correctly, If I plan to put in a locker is it of any benefit to get an axle with a factory LS? Would it be correct to assume that the only time it wouldn't be of any benefit is if I went with a full case locker such as a detroit? The reason I ask is because There are a couple 8.8's available in the area for pretty cheap disc to disc with factory 4.10's (the gears I want to run) and a LSD. Which is what I am looking at going with as soon as I get the $$.

Thanks,
Tom

if you get the factory LSD you won't be able to drop a lunchbox locker in there, and locking it would require a full case locker, or a new open carrier. Either way youd have to setup gears.
If you're doing it on the cheap, as I plan to, get the open carrier now, and then toss an aussie locker in it when you can afford the $250.

87manche said:
if you get the factory LSD you won't be able to drop a lunchbox locker in there, and locking it would require a full case locker, or a new open carrier. Either way youd have to setup gears.
If you're doing it on the cheap, as I plan to, get the open carrier now, and then toss an aussie locker in it when you can afford the $250.

Ok cool, thanks for the fast reply, I was thinking about going the aussie route but wasn't sure if it would be worth it to go to the full case style locker. I'm thinking not due to that my MJ sees alot of street time.

thanks,
Tom

Hey, if you can get one with 4.10's and a LSD, that is a very inexpensive upgrade from a D35 if you don't plan to run a locker and are on a tight budget. That's a lot of bang for the buck. But, if you want to run the locker, then you'd need an open diff.

I put a lunch box Powertrx No-Slip in an 8.8 limited slip carrier.

My 8.8 has held up well to 300hp in my mazda minitruck.

BlueGerbil said:
Or, you can use the factory LSD now and later, when you want to upgrade (read: as soon as $$$ allows) buy an ARB or Detroit Locker, both replace the whole "LSD-assembly"

I left the LSD in when I regeared to 4.56.

Partly because the junkyard told me it was open when I bought it (always check first before you plunk down the cash) and partly because I didn't have the cash for a new carrier and a lunchbox.

Seemed to hold up pretty well at WF.

WOW!! thanks for all the great info guys. Much appreciated, it looks like the 8.8 should work great. I get paid tommorow so I guess I know what my sat. afternoon is going to consist of :)

Tom

FWIW, my 8.8 came out of a Sport Trac. It does have drums but, it has 4.10's, 31 spline and only had 10,000 miles on it. I picked it up for $100. Too good to pass up and a huge improvement over the D35 that I had. I put an Aussie in it and haven't looked back. I guess discs would be nice, but not necessary IMHO. I've got less than $350 in the whole rearend.

Hale

Back