• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting an XJ need help

Brybar

NAXJA Forum User
Ok im new to the "XJ" thing im wanting to get an XJ for a trail rig and get some 33's on it for now just wondering if anyone would tell me what the best year is to get i dont want anything that cost alot and if i could buy one already ready to go that would be great i just want to start this thing out right i was thinking 89-92 or so that would keep the cost down....i hope:helpme:

well thanks

and im a nood i already know..:eeks1:

Last edited:
IMHO the best years to buy are the 1991-1994 years; newer being better.

The wiring is a little better, the engines are easier to work on (not diagnose; Renix engines are better for that) and you won't have to mess around with airbags.

Here's a link to a site that'll tell you want Jeep changed over the years on the Cherokee XJ...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=46011

Other than that, look for rust problems around the rockers, door bottoms, driver's footwell, the passenger side floor above the cat, rear quarter panels behind the tires and the floor to the sides of the gas tank.

High miles aren't as big a concern as you might expect; the 4.0 and automatic tranny are easily known to run for 200, 300, 400 K with proper maintenance and care.

If you're looking at a 1991, then it's better to get a selec-trac-equipped model; the front axle disconnect is a little quirky and slightly weaker than the non-disconnect axle found in selec-trac models.

Make sure the transfer-case lever is easy to use, (but don't use 4wd on pavement!) and smooth.

:)

Last edited:
Back