• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj is dead

tom gralewski

NAXJA Forum User
OK Im at my whits end here. I was backing outta my driveway monday morning and my 93 cherokee just died. Wouldnt start or anything. Heres what it does. IT will run and idle for maybe a minute if i dont touch the gas and then it dies. I can restart it but it will only run for a few seconds. Ive replaced the cps, dist cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and the fuel pump relay to no avail. The last time it died i pulled one of the plugs and it was soaked in gas. It seems to me like its flooding itself but i cant figure out why. It gives me no trouble codes except that the ac clutch has a short or somthing like that.. Pls help...

Tom

What is the condition of the battery (volts and CCA's) and grounds?

Grounds?

You have several more items to check that cause your problem, but I suggest using a Multimeter first to test them.

TPS- Throttle Position Sensor (Test with a MultiMeter) Could be bad or just may need calibrating. C-B connection should read .80 to .82 Volts with igntion switch power on, and engine off, do not start it)

Air Intake Temperature Sensor (Test with a MultiMeter)
Fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump (run a pressure test)

Air filter????

Idle air controller (also called an Idle Stepper Motor) in the throttle body next to the TPS

Fuel injectors could be leaking or bad too.

Also some one else already mentioned the HV coil. While checking it, it has an igniton control (electronic) module hidden under the coil (part of the coil assembly).

have you hooked up a fuel gauge to check fuel pressure? Not sure if your 93 has one or not,but on my 92 there was a ballast resistor for the fuel pump on the driver's side fenderwell. My problems were the same as yours,and I tried a bunch of stuff before I just happened to take the leads off the ballast resistor and spliced them together,jeep has ran good ever since and this was about 2 years ago. If this is your problem,with a fuel gauge hooked up you will have pressure for a few seconds,then pressure will drop to nothing and the engine will die. hope this helps!!!

what does that ballast resistor do, mine blew and caught fire month after I bought my 93, is it safe to splice the wires together, I just bought 2 and keep one on hand, not to hijack but it is related.

it is a little white rectangular shaped block,ceramic I think that is screwd onto the driver's side fenderwell and has 2 wires running into it. the wires on mine are green if I remember correctly. As far as what it does,all I have been able to find out is that it drops voltage to the fuel pump so it isn't quite as noisy. A lot of people have bypassed it and left it bypassed without problems.

Just in case there could be ice in the fuel filter, try some dry gas now you got it to stay running.

Jumping the resistor could cause the pump to force fuel past a partial ice block or the resistor could just be bad.

The resistor is bypassed on startup and the pump runs, generally when the resistor is bad the engine stops instantly when the key is turned to run.

If the engine runs for just a short time and slowly quits it's likely a fuel blockage problem.

I made it to work and it seems to be running fine.. Should i even replace that little ballast thing? I just wired the two together and it runs like a champ so Im hoping that was it. I would like to thank everyone for their help!!!!

I would like to know if it's safe to run without it hooked up properly, I think for the few bucks it should be there, someone with more experience care to weigh in?

It is designed to lower the voltage (down to about 9-10v) going to your fuel pump (there is a bypass relay during starting which is why it started then died). If you run full voltage to the pump at all times it could shorten the life of the pump. I think later models have the resistor removed but they may have pumps designed for the higher voltage. A nice addition to having a pump that can run efficiently at lower voltages is that if the alternator dies, the pump will run (and so will the jeep) as the battery discharges.

If you do a search on here for ballast resistor,you will see that some people have bypassed it with no problems and have put lots of miles on their xj's since then. the only reason I replaced mine(and good luck finding one) was because I didn't know at the time I didn't need it.

Back