• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing lift this weekend - compress springs??

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Installing 3" lift w/ coils, AAL (budget rig for now) & new shocks. Confident w/ the project - even w/ hand tools - but am curious how difficult the front will be.

I've lowered several S-10s before (earlier phase of life) and then changed some back to stock and with that change, I always had to use the coil compressors in order to get the lower A-arm to bolt up to the spindle otherwise it'd jack the whole side of the vehicle up. I realize the XJ suspension is completely different, but do I have to compress the spring still or is it just a stronger steel instead of simply longer? I don't have a stock spring and lifted spring side-by-side to compare.

Any other advise for this project? Things that were learned along the way of your lift that you'd like to pass on - you know, those "idiot" moments were you took 30minutes to do a 5minute task? (And yes, I know to PB Blast the complete vehicle from roof rack to tires 3 days before...)

It's up to you. My first XJ, I put a 3" lift on and used a auto store rental to compress the springs to get them in. But on my 97 XJ I took the controls arms off and just dropped the axle. Wasn't the smartest move, but didn't have to worry about compressing any springs.

You should be able to unbolt the track bar, sway bar, and shocks and get a less than slim friend to stand on the hub to get the new spring in. I have compressors but have never needed them for either of my XJ's.

3 inches are pretty easy to do with out spring compressors. but just incase, so your not stuck half way done with the project go to advance and rent a pair. theyre 50 bucks to rent, and you get every penny back when you return them

No, you won't need a compresser. We put a 3.5 tuff country on a 2001 in December. Just support the body on jack stands, take out the old shocks and you'll have enough travel to shove the old springs out and the new ones in. (We also put a 6.5 rough country in without compresser on my 2000 in November but changed out the lower arms.) Any way there's no tension on the springs once you drop the shocks.

You don't need spring compressors to install lift springs on the XJ. If you try they are actually rather difficult to use on these trucks.

Usually you just remove the sway bar links, shocks, TB bolt and possibly 1 end of the LCA. Should drop plenty to get the new springs in. (keep and eye on your brake lines if your not installing longer ones, you don't need them)

I usually do the rear first, front last.

Michael

roughxj27 said:
No, you won't need a compresser. We put a 3.5 tuff country on a 2001 in December. Just support the body on jack stands, take out the old shocks and you'll have enough travel to shove the old springs out and the new ones in. (We also put a 6.5 rough country in without compresser on my 2000 in November but changed out the lower arms.) Any way there's no tension on the springs once you drop the shocks.

The key word in this post may be "we" , I've never wanted to disconnect my control arms with the thought of not being able to get the bolt lined up to reconnect arm if something shifted on me, especially working by myself. With someone working with you to "persuade" the axle to reline up a control arm bolt would definitely be quicker, but when I threw in my 4.5" coils by myself, I disconnected the shock and trac bar, dropped the axle as far as it would go then used compressors, compressing and releasing with an air ratchet. This made very quick work of the install.

Yeah, this will definitely be a "me" job and not a "we" job. The instructions didn't mention spring compressors - just said remove shocks and disconnect upper nut on the sway bar. Then slowly lower the axle w/ your floor jack. Obviously the vehicle itself would be on jacks. Well, I guess I'll go to AutoZone and see if they have any and if so, I may as well rent them just to be safe.

For the rear - I should be alright w/ just a set of C-Clamps for disassembling and assembling the pack right? Didn't know if there were any other tips regarding the rear that I should be aware of. It'll be my first time doing an AAL too, but the concept seems about as easy as it gets.

Second thoughts if your doing it by yourself don't disconnect the control arms. Even with me and another guy, it still sucked ass get the axle back in location.

gone postal said:
Yeah, this will definitely be a "me" job and not a "we" job. The instructions didn't mention spring compressors - just said remove shocks and disconnect upper nut on the sway bar. Then slowly lower the axle w/ your floor jack. Obviously the vehicle itself would be on jacks. Well, I guess I'll go to AutoZone and see if they have any and if so, I may as well rent them just to be safe.

For the rear - I should be alright w/ just a set of C-Clamps for disassembling and assembling the pack right? Didn't know if there were any other tips regarding the rear that I should be aware of. It'll be my first time doing an AAL too, but the concept seems about as easy as it gets.

No spring compressor needed (even with 3" and ACOS) just release shocks, sway bar links and trac bar at axle - if you need a little extra, put the floor jack under the opposite side you are working with and as you lift the other end it effectively lowers the end you're working with. When reattaching the trac bar (do this last) crank the steering wheel back and forth as needed to shift the body to line up the trac bar at the axle end. I've done mine this way 3 times by myself. I am an old guy so if I can do it anybody can.
Hope this helps and Have Fun with it. :cheers:

Mike

Back