• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whisteling sound from my 01 Cherokee.

davered00ss

NAXJA Forum User
This is driving me nuts. My jeep has a loud whisteling sound comming from somewhere around the intake/exhaust manifold or TB?

It make the whisteling sound mostly when it is cold outside. makes no difference if the jeep is warm or cold. Sound goes away when you depress the gas petal? Dealership could not find it. Any ideas? I have found several references to people having this problem, but no solutions to it. :helpme:

Thank,
Dave

check your vacuum hoses and make sure they are all connected and don't have holes or cracks in them. are you sure the noise isn't coming from the serpentine belt?

[FONT=&quot]Does it make the noise while idling with the transmission in neutral?
If so, get a 3' section of heater hose, 5/8" or 3/4" works well, and use it as a stethoscope to home in on the noise.
Make sure to keep the hose and your fingers away from the belt, fan and pulleys.[/FONT]

I checked the vacuume hoses. I took the car to the dealership & that's all they did, even though I told them I already did it and asked them to check the intake/exhaust manifold (which they did not) The sound goes away pretty quickly when you stop and put it in Park, but the hose is a great Idea.

Any resolution on this? My 01 is doing the same, and driving me nuts not being able to figure it out..... not the vac lines or belt......

First, please check the posting dates before you reply. This thread is well over 2 years old.

Next, you'll need to check the TB, manifiolds, and evap canister. If it does it in neutral, I'll be easier to locate

My 88 did the same after I replaced the exh manifold. Only did it when I backed off the gas, then stopped once the RPMs came down. This is when the engine is at a high vacuum condition. Also went away once the engine fully warmed up. I suspect the heat expansion helped close the gap. Mine was most likely an small intake leak. I say that because I took it back off, replaced the gasket, and use some hi-temp sealant on it, the TB gasket and my EGR (you don't have one). No more whistle.

First, please check the posting dates before you reply. This thread is well over 2 years old.

So what if it's 2 years old??

I'm not trying to be a Richard-Cranium, but 99% of the time someone comes on here and asks a question and the first 3-5 replies are, "SEARCH!!"

Perhaps Beserker searched and this was the most relevent post. Who cares if it's 2 years old?

Anyway, I'll add my 2 cents worth.....

I have a SLIGHT whistle at idle on my '98... I discovered it to be the throttle body.

If I push the linkage arm backwards (read: opposite of acceleration), the whistle goes away.

So I figure either this is normal because of the air flowing over the butterfly, or the butterfly shaft is worn and I have a vacuum leak.....

So what if it's 2 years old??

I'm not trying to be a Richard-Cranium, but 99% of the time someone comes on here and asks a question and the first 3-5 replies are, "SEARCH!!"

Perhaps Beserker searched and this was the most relevent post. Who cares if it's 2 years old?

Anyway, I'll add my 2 cents worth.....

I have a SLIGHT whistle at idle on my '98... I discovered it to be the throttle body.

If I push the linkage arm backwards (read: opposite of acceleration), the whistle goes away.

So I figure either this is normal because of the air flowing over the butterfly, or the butterfly shaft is worn and I have a vacuum leak.....

Normal, no. Could be the shaft/TB is worn, or most likely the TB is dirty or the throttle plate is loose and not closing all the way. Pull it and clean it.

Hell, I'm glad you bumped that two year old post. For the second time in 10 minutes, I found an answer to an old question that I have been meaning to search.

Maybe I'll add a 60mm throttle body to my Christmas wish list...

Hell, I'm glad you bumped that two year old post. For the second time in 10 minutes, I found an answer to an old question that I have been meaning to search.

Maybe I'll add a 60mm throttle body to my Christmas wish list...

Weird and a little funny is REPLYING to an old thread. Bringing back an old thread because you have the same or a similar problem is recommended. First, it shows the new poster has searched, which is always appreciated but not always understood by newbies. Second, as much of the ground has already been covered previously within the thread it doesn't waste everybodys' time repeating steps that have been covered.

In other words, starting a brand new thread and having to cover the same ground over again is a waste. :cheers:

Thanks Mudd Butt and Joe, as the searches werent turning up an answer I hadnt already ruled out I thought I would re ask for more current thinking. The way I interpret the word "Forum" is a place for discussion.....if all things we to be searched and we werent allowed to talk, hash out new ideas and discard old ones, it would be a Library.....shhhhhh....... In addition its brought to my attention my name has gone back to black...... i better get that squared away as well ....
Merry Christmas All.

PS, i also listened to many of the items people have posted on YouTube and such places....those sound more like a "low" whistle like a train sorta, my whistling problem is exactly like a teapot at boil......starts AFTER the engine has warmed up....goes away for awhile and comes back and stays.....does it at idle at stop for a few minutes and then disappears again usually just as I get the hood popped...grrrrrr. Could it be related to a Dynomax cat back installed about the same time this started? Too much air going thru it? Whistles with the stock TB and a 60mm TB

Grab yourself a 3' section of clear vinyl tubing--most hardware stores, some auto parts stores--and use it with one end in your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment. You should be able to isolate the sound that way.

Good luck.

Back