• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toy parts/XJ?

Ty2003K

NAXJA Forum User
So I remember reading somewhere that the AX-15 transmision is very similar to a Toyota tranny. Now my question is has anyone on here or someone seen something where a Toyota transfercase have been put into an xj?

Also has anyone ever looked into toyota truck axles for an axle swap. I wheel with mostly toys and those little axles are tough!

The AX-15 was built by Aisin/Warner(not spelled right) and was used in some Toyota applications. Same goes for the AW4 auto and the AX-5.

The trans (auto) is physically identical between my 89 xj and my buddies 90 4runner right down to the pan and dipstick tube., different bellhousing and tail section, even seems to shift the same.

I run a toy 8" rear in my xj. A lot of people helped me with the swap so I know there is plenty of people running this set-up. So far its been great and Im not worried about the rear grenading all the time.

Okay thats good to hear. What about the front? I already have a d44 rear but I beleive I could get my hands on both toyota front and years pretty easily. Has one ever been put in the front of an XJ?

Ty2003K said:
Okay thats good to hear. What about the front? I already have a d44 rear but I beleive I could get my hands on both toyota front and years pretty easily. Has one ever been put in the front of an XJ?

I think the pinion is on the passenger side on a Toyota, if it is the Toy front will not work. The high pinion D-30 is plenty strong untill you get into "big" tires and lockers.

Are all toy front ends right hand drive, I thought ive seen some that were drivers, but I definetely could be wrong.

As for as the d30 being good for all but "big" tires, what do you consider big?

Last edited:
Ty2003K said:
Are all toy front ends right hand drive, I thought ive seen some that were drivers, but I definetely could be wrong.

As for as the d30 being good for all but "big" tires I dont know about. most toys I run with run 35" to 37" tires, and the toy front end holds up just fine to that. It seems like everywhere I go I see a d30 broken on the trail.

That's 'cause 30s suck. The toy front is sadly a superior axle. I'd not try to run it with 42s or 44s like those toyota guys seem to; but I'll admit it is a damn stout axle for a stock 1/4 ton truck/SUV.

There's no driver's drop toy axles that I've ever seen. There's offset rears if you want to run a D18 tcase...

yes all toy 8" front axles are pass drop, but you can run dual cases with a d300 in the back unflipped which will give you a pass side output transfercase allowing you to use the toy axle.

toy axles are twice as good as a d30/35 combo espeacialy now thanks to the longfields , you alos get to carry one spare 3rd that will work front or rear, rear axle shafts are same diameter as a d60, but the downside is the width. youll need a 86+ rear axle and put ifs hubs on the front axle to widen it 3"

Okay so there passenger drop, what about mating a Toyota transfer case to the back of the AX-15, then you would have passenger drop.

Not to mention a whole mess of other problems, but just an idea.

jcroffroad said:
You would need a special adapter to bolt on a toy case to AX15. If that was a bolt on thing, everyone would have dual toy cases :)

...or you just get the tailhousing and mainshaft from a Toyota R150 / R151F transmission and you're golden. :)

Looks something like this.

http://jeepin.net/forum/showpost.php?p=485818&postcount=91

r151f-2.JPG

DirtyMJ said:
That's 'cause 30s suck. The toy front is sadly a superior axle. I'd not try to run it with 42s or 44s like those toyota guys seem to; but I'll admit it is a damn stout axle for a stock 1/4 ton truck/SUV.

'Cept for the stock Birfields, anyway. Upgrade those, add a truss, and you'll be set to beat on it for a long while.

Last edited:
Back